Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The age-old 'Drinks on the dance floor' debate

Default The age-old 'Drinks on the dance floor' debate

No, I'm not going to start another thread about whether or not it should be allowed!

However, during our previous debates, we have often spoken about the possibility of punters suing the dance floor supplier, well, this mythical beast is mythical no more!

Last week, we heard directly from the horses mouth (banqueting manager of a venue) that a guest at a recent wedding slipped on the dance floor and is now taking legal action against the venue.

Needless to say, they are now pretty nervous about people taking drinks any where near the dance floor; have several rather large signs dotted about (which don't look great in the elegance of the room, if I'm honest); and are asking DJs to make announcements.

So, if you supply dance floors (whether directly or as a re-seller) better get checking the small print in those insurance policies!

Interesting...

2 Years ago, A lady at a wedding I was doing, slipped and fell on the dancefloor. The hotel tried to pass the buck on to me, saying I was responsible for over-seeing the dancefloor. Like I was lol.

The case has just finished, my PPL company firmly passed the blame back on the hotel, as it was their venue and their dancefloor. A good time to also make sure PPLs are up to date
    Maidstone Based Professional Disco
    www.lasersounds.co.uk

Hmm tough one to crack. I think all venues should have doorstaff to stop drinks being taken on the dance floor.

I think all venues should have a couple of door staff to supervise events anyway. Duty to care and all that>?
    long live lightboxes..........lots of em!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lazersounds View Post
    Interesting...

2 Years ago, A lady at a wedding I was doing, slipped and fell on the dancefloor. The hotel tried to pass the buck on to me, saying I was responsible for over-seeing the dancefloor. Like I was lol.

The case has just finished, my PPL company firmly passed the blame back on the hotel, as it was their venue and their dancefloor. A good time to also make sure PPLs are up to date
    PPL?

PLI

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    PLI
    That's what I thought, but wondered where PPL came from!

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    No, I'm not going to start another thread about whether or not it should be allowed!

However, during our previous debates, we have often spoken about the possibility of punters suing the dance floor supplier, well, this mythical beast is mythical no more!

Last week, we heard directly from the horses mouth (banqueting manager of a venue) that a guest at a recent wedding slipped on the dance floor and is now taking legal action against the venue.

Needless to say, they are now pretty nervous about people taking drinks any where near the dance floor; have several rather large signs dotted about (which don't look great in the elegance of the room, if I'm honest); and are asking DJs to make announcements.

So, if you supply dance floors (whether directly or as a re-seller) better get checking the small print in those insurance policies!
    Ahhhh Compensation culture--no win no fee---hopefully thats going to be stopped in the not too distant

I am in the fortunate position where for Instructed Dances I can either tactfully (or sometimes not by telling them they look very sad dancing with a glass) tell the punters its dangerous and get their drinks on to a table before joining in--I was a bit stumped the other day though--the MD of the Company placed his bottle in his mouth so his hands were free.

Luckily we were dancing on his lawn (which was a bit uneven) so if anything happened my defence was its your grass pal --go sue yourself.

Overall a bad situation which will probably get worse.

To suggest an Entertainer is responsible for the consequences of guests spilling drinks on a dance floor is a bad joke.

I'm beginning to wonder whether I should have something added to my T&Cs to cover this?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    PPL?
    Opps I Am A Fool...
    Maidstone Based Professional Disco
    www.lasersounds.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder whether I should have something added to my T&Cs to cover this?
    I was thinking of a clause outlining the repercussions of such actions, possibly including the use of a taser or similar.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk