Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contracts - how many?

Default Contracts - how many?

I have separate contracts and T&Cs for disco and DJ hire, equipment hire, then photo booth and candy cart hire and as some people are starting to book more than one service, I am having to send out several contracts. It is necessary because of the T&Cs, but there must be something simpler or easier to do?

What does everyone else do?

You can combine all in to one contract with general T&Cs applicable across the board, followed by sections for each service (ie the following T&Cs are applicable if...). The downside of this is that it makes for a very long contract.

If you are doing them all electronically, rather than having all the T&Cs in the main contract, you could just have links to the separate T&Cs (ie Additional T&Cs applicable to x may be viewed at ... and form part of this contract)

I've literally just sent out 2 lots of forms today for 2 Disco Hire bookings in November.
    I generally (might have to re-think this so thanks for the prompt as I never really thought about it)....do a separate booking form for the actual booking (if that makes sense) which will have what the service is (Disco, Disco Hire, Uplighting, Dance Floor etc...) and then if there is a Disco Hire I will have a separate form for that which will list the customers details etc and the individual bits of kit that they are getting. Both forms have extensive Terms & Conditions on the back of them and there are 2 copies of each. Both get signed by me and kept by the customer and they return a copy of each signed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    there are 2 copies of each. Both get signed by me and kept by the customer and they return a copy of each signed too.
    Ooh! Slap wrists!!

NEVER sign first! Bad move...

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    You can combine all in to one contract with general T&Cs applicable across the board, followed by sections for each service (ie the following T&Cs are applicable if...). The downside of this is that it makes for a very long contract.

If you are doing them all electronically, rather than having all the T&Cs in the main contract, you could just have links to the separate T&Cs (ie Additional T&Cs applicable to x may be viewed at ... and form part of this contract)

That sounds sensible to avoid dupication of hirer and venue --linking sounds good as you must have different cancellation conditions and requirements for each individual business as we do here.

Here we have 3 different businesses Barn Dance Caller Hire ( me) Barn Dance Caller Agency and Rodeo Bull all with different T and Cs but as owned and operated by 3 different people( me, my wife and my son) we have to issue separate Contracts even though we often supply 2 of the services to the same person/ organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post
    Ooh! Slap wrists!!

NEVER sign first! Bad move...
    Why?

I have been doing that for 25 years and never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Why?

I am sure Martin has a very good reason for making that comment which I am waiting to hear with similar interest--but I guess unless there was a dispute/claim it would never have come to light for any of us and the validity of the Contract questioned.

I have always got the client to sign first and then signed afterwards sending a copy to the client--I really dont know why

Fascinated of Denford

Why?

To an extent, it does depend on how your contract is worded as there are ways and means around the problem, but I have previously mentioned on here NEVER to sign the contract until you've got the deposit and contract signed from the client. Reason being, you are binding yourself to the contract without the client being bound by anything!

Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    I am waiting to hear with similar interest
    Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    I have previously mentioned on here NEVER to sign the contract until you've got the deposit and contract signed from the client. Reason being, you are binding yourself to the contract without the client being bound by anything!

Wot she said

What's to stop the client striking out or changing some of your terms, then countersigning and returning the modified form? To any third party after the event, it will appear that you've agreed to the modified terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post

Wot she said

What's to stop the client striking out or changing some of your terms, then countersigning and returning the modified form? To any third party after the event, it will appear that you've agreed to the modified terms.
    Not quite, Martin: Any amendments should be initialled by the signatory, or at the very least, separate written evidence (eg an email) agreeing to an amendment.