Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contracts - how many?

Interesting that this has cropped up.

I used to sign my copies then send them out....until this happened to a local operator:

He took a booking, sent out the paperwork with his signature on first. They phoned up and cancelled. After the party, he got a nice letter stating that he had failed to turn up at their party, and had subsequently ruined the whole thing...so they were seeking legal advice. They produced one fully signed copy of the contract as proof of booking!

He was ready to fight it in court if necessary...but the "client" bottled it in the end and admitted they had gone cheaper, who was a no-show, and because they had the original contract lying around...thought they could make a few quid off of it.

Had they not bottled it and gone through with it then god knows what would have happened. On the face of it, he was a no show to their contracted gig...
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post

Wot she said

What's to stop the client striking out or changing some of your terms, then countersigning and returning the modified form? To any third party after the event, it will appear that you've agreed to the modified terms.
    I've got to hold my hands up to this one. Angela was aghast when I said I did this to save one trip in the post for the contracts. And I once did have a customer do exactly what Vectis alludes to!!

Fortunately, it was to shorten the gig by an hour, so I decided that in this case, I would not contest it.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

We just have a standard terms and conditions page (well 2 pages) that cover everything that we want and these get attached to a contract regardless of whats on it (floor, dj, furniture etc).
    http://www.premier-ltd.com DJ's, Dance floors, LED Furniture, Staging, Lighting, Draping, Audio & Visual Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Entertainment View Post
    Interesting that this has cropped up.

I used to sign my copies then send them out....until this happened to a local operator:

He took a booking, sent out the paperwork with his signature on first. They phoned up and cancelled. After the party, he got a nice letter stating that he had failed to turn up at their party, and had subsequently ruined the whole thing...so they were seeking legal advice. They produced one fully signed copy of the contract as proof of booking!

He was ready to fight it in court if necessary...but the "client" bottled it in the end and admitted they had gone cheaper, who was a no-show, and because they had the original contract lying around...thought they could make a few quid off of it.

Had they not bottled it and gone through with it then god knows what would have happened. On the face of it, he was a no show to their contracted gig...
    Thanks for posting that example.
    I'll re-think how I go about doing this just incase.

Wot she said

What's to stop the client striking out or changing some of your terms, then countersigning and returning the modified form? To any third party after the event, it will appear that you've agreed to the modified terms.
    Hang on !!!!

Dont you read signed Contracts?

Sorry---didnt you used to?

If I got the Contract back with anything changed there would be a conversation with two possible outcomes--

1. Agree the change because it was what had been agreed subsequent to issue of documents--times etc.

2. Immediate cancellation of the Contract as I had not agreed and the client was taking the

I still cant remember why I have always asked for the client to sign first--Angela has kindly reminded me.

I add my signature when receiving signed Contract and copy the client back for good measure.

The Dynamic story is illustrating what a bunch of chancers we sometimes have to deal with

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Hang on !!!!

Dont you read signed Contracts?

Sorry---didnt you used to?
    When I wrote

To any third party after the event, it will appear that you've agreed to the modified terms.
    the event I was referring to was the signing and dating of the terms by the client, not the gig. Sorry for the confusion.