Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

View Poll Results: Should I insist on being given no more than a dozen songs?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 40.00%
  • No

9 60.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The DJ should play nothing but my music all night?

Default The DJ should play nothing but my music all night?

I hate to say it but I had a bad night last night. Apologies to the couple if they read this on this forum, but I have DJd at nearly 500 Weddings and this was a first for me.

I usually give guests cards and pens and play their requests. This keeps them happy and dancing all night.
    Last night the Bride gave me an exclusive play-list and told me to play all of the tracks and nothing else.

I normally recommend that I am given just a dozen songs - which I always prioritise.

Sadly the music did not suit the rather elderly audience (Trance and Hip Hop). No one was dancing and the Bride was too busy catching up with her guests to dance to the music she had requested.

Guests were getting very upset and even aggressive!

One table left - not before expressing their anger and the situation even in-front of everyone else! Before there was a complete mutiny I managed to persuade the Bride that I ought to play some requests!

This worked for 30mins....... the dancefloor was filled.. But then I was asked to switch-back to the play-list!! Sadly the dancefloor emptied again!

I know it is their Big Day...and I want to make them happy... but would I be wrong to say that I insist on being given a dozen songs and no more?

Comments welcomes.

Lee
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

Hmmm I'm sure this has been discussed before.

I look at it this way, the bride and groom are the ones who paid you so what they might tell you goes really. If guests get irate over the music I refer them to any playlists I have and explain that it is the bride and grooms day and this is what they asked. 99% of guests have accepted this at my weddings, the 1 who strops I just politely say to talk to the wedding party about it.

I think its rare to be given a exclusive playlist. For tonights wedding I have been given 75 songs that guests have requested on their website. The bride has told me if it won't work don't play it, your the boss
    Maidstone Based Professional Disco
    www.lasersounds.co.uk

I always cover this with the bride and groom before the event that I'm happy to accept 20 must play tracks and if they are working will play similar and that I will judge the evening as it progresses and of course be happy to accept requests on the night, I have been doing this for far less time than you and it works for me.
    Bournemouth Disco's
    Making Your Night A Good Good Night
    http://www.bournemouthdisco.com

Quote Originally Posted by lazersounds View Post
    Hmmm I'm sure this has been discussed before.
    Getaway!!

Quote Originally Posted by lazersounds View Post
    I think its rare to be given a exclusive playlist. For tonights wedding I have been given 75 songs that guests have requested on their website. The bride has told me if it won't work don't play it, your the boss
    It is quite rare to be given a rigid playlist but not unheard of. I once did an engagement party where the couple gave me a rigid playlist. It resulted, for most of the night, in just the couple and four of there closest friends on the dancefloor - and it was quite a large venue!! I dared to deviate and play a crowd pleaser track to give everyone else the chance to dance, which worked, but the guy came over and demanded I changed the track as it wasn't on their playlist. So, I did as I was instructed and the dancefloor cleared. For the next hour, there was only the couple dancing. The guy came over and told me he couldn't understand why the dancefloor was empty and I said, in my opinion, the music choice wasn't very party friendly. He said ok and I should just end the night with what I felt would work best. For the last hour I had all generations up dancing - parent's, aunts and uncles, grannies as well as the younger ones all dancing together. At the end of the night, the guy thanked me and even gave me a nice (monetary!!) tip. So, the customer isn't always right and, sometimes, they do accept that. Eventually!!

Quote Originally Posted by marting View Post
    I always cover this with the bride and groom before the event that I'm happy to accept 20 must play tracks and if they are working will play similar and that I will judge the evening as it progresses and of course be happy to accept requests on the night, I have been doing this for far less time than you and it works for me.
    I did a wedding a couple of weeks ago where I took a request list of 10 must-play and 15 preferred-play tracks which were all good and dancey. The only problem was it was a Friday night and everyone seem too tired (or just couldn't be bothered) to dance which was disappointing for the bride. The odd track got a good response and the dancefloor filled up (Carley Rae Jepson's Call Me Maybe being a track of particular note!) but energy levels in the room weren't there and people soon sat back down. It was a shame, really, as all of the tracks would have gone down well at other gigs.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I've done a few where their list was set in stone and none of them worked. I now refuse a booking if this is what they want to do (politely and with explanation obviously). The trouble is that if the night doesn't work, a lot of the people there will think it's down to the Dj and it doesn't do your reputation any good.

The best thing to do in situations like this is make sure that you have aired your concerns when you meet the couple beforehand.
    Yes, it's THEIR day and they should have what they like BUT...surely they want their guests to enjoy the evening too? I always make a point of this in my pre-wedding meetings.
    It is a rare occasion to be told to stick to the playlist rigidly and not sway from it and some may recall me posting a thread on this a few months back. I was very apprehensive about the whole thing because I didn't want to be seen as not knowing what I was doing and playing inappropriate music (in the eyes of those guests that weren't aware that I was sticking to the list).
    On that occasion I had a list of over 200 tracks (can't remember the exact amount) and I know others on here have had more than that. It was around 7 hours of music or something like that, to cram into 4 hours. I was assurred by the couple that the tracks they had picked would work and so I ended up picking and choosing from their list and I have to say it worked very well. I even had compliments.

The one thing I did though to cover my own back was to tell everyone in the nicest possible way that the Bride & Groom had provided the playlist for their special day and that there should be something for everybody in there. I mentioned this a couple of times but not too much as I didn't want it to be seen as me more or less saying "Sorry guys but if you don't like it, don't blame me, blame the Bride & Groom". I think I only had a couple of people ask for requests that weren't on the list and I had to explain to them that I was playing tracks chosen by the Bride & Groom.

Would I do it again?
    No. I was probably lucky. I wouldn't put myself in the position where I could possibly get grief from people.

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    I've done a few where their list was set in stone and none of them worked. I now refuse a booking if this is what they want to do (politely and with explanation obviously). The trouble is that if the night doesn't work, a lot of the people there will think it's down to the Dj and it doesn't do your reputation any good.
    Then the DJ should make it abundantly clear that he is doing exactly what he has been hired to do. It should be done clearly, loudly and regularly.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Then the DJ should make it abundantly clear that he is doing exactly what he has been hired to do. It should be done clearly, loudly and regularly.
    Yes i totally agree, one of my djs as 2 like this.
    The first one was in tamworth and the customer wanted 80s all night (6 hours).it was for a wedding and i asked the customer if it was a themed night and she said no but she loved the 80s. I said what about the guests and she said tough cause its my wedding. I said if list is not working can my dj change to a different genie, She said no way.. I told my dj to make it clear to everyone that the music was not down to him.. Evening was due to finish at 12.30 but finished at 12 because there was only her family there. She still could not understand why everyone left early...Oh well
    The other one is this sunday, 4 hours disco in a posh hotel farm house and the customer as sent me a fully detailed list of songs in order he wants them..Now the songs on the list are ok but they are everywhere. Also there is nearly 6 hours music, I told the customer and he even told me which ones to remove. He also told me to take no requests all night and only play to play list in that order..We will see what happens tomorrow night

I'm seriously considering going down the 20 only limit on playlists. Some of the ones I've had recently have been what I can only describe as appalling
    For God's sake let the dj do what he does best

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

Default Totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    I totally agree
    i understand that we have been hired for the evening and they are paying but would you hire a singer at a wedding and tell him/her what songs they are going to sing NO you wouldnt so why try a make the dj look a novice
    we still have a reputation to keep up and word gets around in the smaller communities.
    i think keeping the playlist to a maximum amount is the best option and on the pre wedding meeting you can always relate some of these horror stories to divert the couple away from armageddon.
    hadyn