Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: £1200 pah!! - Warning, a big head moment.

Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster mobile disco View Post
    Well done on getting your asking price.Thats excellent money that i can only dream about,So do you think you can get many more at this cost?

Or is this just a one of booking?

Can i also ask what venue was this taking place in?
    This is a one off booking although I have fairly regular bookings for over £1k and had £1600 before. In no way am I saying you should get this for every gig, I am very realistic. For every £1k gig, I do many more evening only discos and cheaper events. I am however aiming to do more all-day bookings which gives my business more stability and then fill the gaps with evening only discos and race nights, I need a good income so every little helps . I don't know of anyone who honestly goes out for around £1k every booking and is full time.

The venue is a nice venue in County Durham, nothing really special - more your average nice wedding venue.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Well done, Chris. Sounds like a good catch to me.

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    Do you really think that he is going to be tired by 10pm,he's hardly chopping down trees!!He's a DJ for heavens sake,not the most physically demanding job.

I'm intrigued as to why it would take out two days Toby?
    Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    You've obviously never done an all day booking then Trev?

It is physically demanding standing all day and very knackering doing that many hours. It doesn't have to be physical labour that makes you tired...I would have thought a man of your age and experience would have known that...
    Having done several all day events (not 17 straight hours, mind!) I'd have to say that they are very tiring indeed. I find it much easier to do a ten hour shift on the day job and then go straight to do a five hour wedding with two hour travel time than a straight DJing job. Maybe that's just me, though.

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    Actually I think I can only recall doing 2 bookings that actually meant taking over the whole day but even then not actually 'working' all the time.As I recall there was a lot of hanging around while the day took its course.
    Of course it's demanding and by the end of the day you will be tired but that could be said of any DJ who holds down a day job as well as DJ'ing.
    My comments should have gone after this post. I'm on my phone and haven't figured out how to select and move text yet!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I'd have probably quoted £400, followed by a thud as the bride collapses.
    Sound like a Gypsy wedding to me

Quote Originally Posted by par6 View Post
    I'd have probably quoted £400, followed by a thud as the bride collapses.
    Sound like a Gypsy wedding to me
    Definitely not gypsies - must be the area you live ??
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    For video editing!
    I would be offended by that but its actually funny and true
    I left the camera at home tonight as I do lots of nights. Only film 1/10 events if that.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Right, sorry for sounding crass last night when asked for what services are included. This response was because really there is nothing out of the ordinary.

The wedding is at 9.30am with guests arriving from 8am for continental breakfast where I will have a slideshow running of various photographs.
    The ceremony room is also the same room for afternoon and evening and will be uplit changing colours 3 times throughout the day.
    Ceremony music, afternoon music and mc services as normal.

I am then left with about 4 hours in the afternoon to fill and it is this which clenched me the booking. The bride and groom have seen me at various events before so would like me to fill the afternoon with race night, bingo, quiz etc - basically anything to keep people entertained. If really nice and people go outside it will be simply a case of a bit background music outdoors. Nothing is going to be set in stone (apart from a short race afternoon event for both sets of parents and most the family) and they are trusting me to use my knowledge and skills which is what they are paying for.

Evening is Disco and slideshow with the uplighting of course.

Although a long day it is actually quite simple for me the way I have things setup. Most of it will be controlled from a laptop.

Still interested to know what others who have commented would/have charged for this incase I am still way off the mark and very interested to find out what services others have provided for a £2k fee. I know I'm a long way off the big boys but happy with where I am in the market at the moment - however as always there is room for improvement

Jonathan - I network a lot, have listened to one tutorial cd on meetings but my tuition has mainly been self taught and to be realistic and honest. No-one can teach you to do what you do to make your personal stamp on an event.
    Sorry I miss read it and thought you had charged £1200, but its actually £2000, which for the work your doing is excellent and good value for money as thats a long day and seems you have the entertainment skills to warrant that. Sorry for my lack of observation

For a very involved all day the prep is what is charged for as there is so much attention to detail required. Some times you spend 15-20 hours in meetings (with travel) so that needs to be taken in to consideration for all day bookings. Also if you are hosting an event you need to be on the ball for that whole 17 hours (and be around/contactable as people will still ask for you). Its a lot more involved that just being a DJ and providing audio visual/entertainment. Obviously depends on the venue, the client and the time you are booked from and till.

£2k would be the equivalent of two all days (with MC) for me so well worth it. A figure I would like to command at some point but I still have a long way to go. Having said that all my clients this year have said that the 1k fee for 10 hours is good value for money

Well done for getting that amount as i did say in the first post. You are not ripping anyone off and delivering a good service which is key.
    Last edited by yourdj; 06-10-2012 at 01:31 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Sometimes it pays to be confident and ask a higher price.
    Some people think because they are paying more it will be better.

I have hired numerous discos and found the price charged often didnt match their performance.
    One DJ just sat behind the decks on a chair and said nothing all night and he was the most expensive !

Another was brilliant, balancing the chat and the music nicely and only charged £120.

Had one idiot who throught he was the singing DJ who in reality was hopelessly out of tune.
    I had to have words with him about it.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Sorry I miss read it and thought you had charged £1200, but its actually £2000,
    I must have misread it as well. I thought he' got the decimal point wrong, and was charging £200!!

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    I have hired numerous discos and found the price charged often didnt match their performance.
    One DJ just sat behind the decks on a chair and said nothing all night and he was the most expensive !

Another was brilliant, balancing the chat and the music nicely and only charged £120.
    's funny. I don't remember working in Carlisle recently.

Well done Chris, you're obviously providing a comprehensive service at a reasonable rate. Nice to see.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk