Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light stands

Question Light stands

Am thinking of getting some light stands. The ones where you can put up to 3/4 lights on them. Have not used any before (currently use a goalpost gantry), what is good to look for when buying one please? What are good makes and models please?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Am thinking of getting some light stands. The ones where you can put up to 3/4 lights on them. Have not used any before (currently use a goalpost gantry), what is good to look for when buying one please? What are good makes and models please?
    I have some old heavy PAR style lights supported by an Adam Hall Stand, donkeys years old but has always been extremely strong and durable and lasted amazingly well--probably more expensive than many--you get what etc.

I also have a Skytec Light Stand for my standard Disco Lights Impossibled/ old fashioned Source Blade and Stormbird that weigh a lot and have been pleasantly surprised by the performance of the stand despite it being a bit of a budget make which I expected to have a limited life span---but its been going pretty well.

Avoid thin metal being used on the legs and plastic bars which will snap off if stressed out of normal angles---happened to my Maplins one

I would avoid Maplins as their stuff is very lightweight, I do use one old Maplins Light Stand I repaired but only to put up my backdrop American Flag which weighs very little

Im sure theres loads more to follow

As Lighting has become a lot lighter in weight over the last few years --led type--I guess the weight load is a lot less and you might get away with cheaper versions.
    Last edited by CRAZY K; 08-10-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks for the ideas. At the moment, I do have a maplins gantry for the lights, but it's been too heavy. It's on the link below:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/goal-post-lighting-stand-17792
    Would sell it for £40, or swap for some stand-alone light stands.

Thanks for the ideas. At the moment, I do have a maplins gantry for the lights, but it's been too heavy. It's on the link below:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/goal-post-lighting-stand-17792
    Would sell it for £40, or swap for some stand-alone light stands.
    Surprised no more suggestions--that Maplins stand is for a fairly large number of lights--for four lights obviously overkill.

Theres loads of good stands out there--hang about for some more recommendations---

I have just started using this http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/dj-equipm...ting-stand.htm I have been impressed so far.

Hi, I suggest you stay away from the ADJ heavy duty one. St132 I think. It's well made but not that practical for very regular mobile use due to the length of the base which prevents it from fitting neatly into the van, and the weight of it which is backbreaking to shift about and set up. I bought a generic winch one after sending that one back, from DJkit and its done the job, about £80.
    Http://www.heartandsouldisco.co.uk

Wedding DJ and Mobile Disco in Sussex and Surrey

Hi Chris,

If you have that goal post setup, I'm pretty sure you can separate that to give you not one but two T-Bars.

Sarah x

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    Hi Chris,

If you have that goal post setup, I'm pretty sure you can separate that to give you not one but two T-Bars.

Sarah x
    Trouble is the Maplin construction tends to be a bit lightweight in my experience--unless you have a low weight requirement I would buy better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    Hi Chris,

Sarah x
    Thanks Sarah, I may try that as well, the posts are fairly heavy though and would prefer something a little lighter.

I use T-bars and stands for my lights and, like Alan Crazy K, my best one is an Adam Hall one that actually came as part of my Par56 package some years ago. I bought an extra one as I was really impressed with how solid it was compared to others I've used.

I've also got a couple of the lighter Tiger stands and, although not the strongest stand in the world, they are strong enough for my requirements. They also have a pretty decent "quick release" system for the T-Bar which I hadn't seen before. Basically, the bar slots in to the stand when you pull the bolt out on the stand and it springs back in to place to secure the bar. Very nifty and certainly quicker than undoing bolts/screws/wingnuts. Although, despite the product description, it's certainly not "heavy duty" nor hight adjustable to meet any requirement. It's really quite light duty and doesn't go very high but it's more than capable of supporting an Impossibled and QuadScan below the bar and a couple of par lights above it. And it's less than £20 a stand so really good value for money.

Even though the higher price, I'd go for the Adam Hall ones every time. They've got a much bigger height reach (they're in 3 sections as opposed to the Tiger's 2 sections) and they're much stronger and sturdier. However, the exact model that I've got looks to be discontinued (I had them them for a long time and still going strong!!).

http://www.djmmusic.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=LIS7-BK
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!