Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Better for karaoke - 12"s or 15"s

Default Better for karaoke - 12"s or 15"s

Obviously it depends on the speaker make and efficiency to some degree, but what do you use and what do you think suits karaoke better?

12", no question. Preferably 10" with subs, to remove the lower frequencies from the tops, and clean up the response. Having said that, yes I've used 15" no probs, usually for space or speed reasons. On Friday, it will be 12" over subs.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I prefer to use the EV 12's for karaoke as they're ideal for the smaller rooms. They're also easier to lift down quickly at the end of the night to assist in a sharp exit!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I'm currently using 10"s for Karaoke [So much more compact] and you get a better Hi-Fi sound from a smaller driver for the smaller gigs - One venue i do though i have my 15"s installed as it is a larger hall ... Occasionally i may use my 8"s which give a great sound and vocal quality

Very rarely do i use my subs for a karaoke gig though, unless i'm booked for a Karaoke & Disco

Thanks
    *** Genie Discs Entertainments ***

Professional Sound & Lighting, PAT Compliant, DJ Guard PLI Insurance and PRS/MCPS ProDub License.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenski View Post

Very rarely do i use my subs for a karaoke gig though, unless i'm booked for a Karaoke & Disco

Thanks
    Now here's where we diverge marginally. Only marginally mind. Often with Karaoke, the venues are a tad smaller, and the need for volume is less, so I can totally understand Glenn's views. I'd use subs wherever possible though to improve the sound quality. ( As long as space and access weren't an issue, which they often are.)

On Friday, I'll definitely be using subs, for one thing access is a doddle, and second it's a big room, so the extra cabs will take the pressure off the tops. ( With a room full of boisterous women, my single pair of 15's weren't big enough. On other occasions, they've coped fine )
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

12's, but the size of the HF Diaphragm is equally important. That's where a fair amount of the vocal range is concentrated. 2" ones such as those on RCF's 722/725 are ideal. These are also more robust when the odd screamer overloads the speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    12's, but the size of the HF Diaphragm is equally important. That's where a fair amount of the vocal range is concentrated. 2" ones such as those on RCF's 722/725 are ideal. These are also more robust when the odd screamer overloads the speaker.
    I was thinking that. I've been using RCF 422a's for just over a year now and they're far better at vocal reproduction (and projection) than my old JBL JRX115's. When I bought them I test drove 422's and 412's side by side in the shop and the 422's have a far warmer sound for vocals (in my opinion - and it is a lot down to personal preference & opinion of course).

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography