Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speakers

Default Speakers

Hi everyone.

I was just wondering why nobody seems to get the RCF art 315a but instead the RCF art 312a? The 15" are basically the same size and weight and cost not much more..
    Am I better going for the 15"? I'll be doing crowds of a max of 150 and hoping to use no subs.
    Any help would be much appreciated

Default Hi

Hi Charlie
    I have used art 315s for about 5 years now
    Depending on venue whether I use 1or2 rcf subs as well but for smaller venues these have always been great
    I have never had to worry about enough bass with just the 315s and after comparing them with my back up active speakers alto ts 115s there is no comparison
    Cost an arm and a leg to get fixed if they go wrong so perhaps insurance warranty would be a good idea
    Overall a great speaker with lovely sound although I have no experience of 312as I would say the extra money is worth it for the extra bang
    Hadyn

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie123 View Post
    Hi everyone.

I was just wondering why nobody seems to get the RCF art 315a but instead the RCF art 312a? The 15" are basically the same size and weight and cost not much more..
    Am I better going for the 15"? I'll be doing crowds of a max of 150 and hoping to use no subs.
    Any help would be much appreciated
    I think Peter will be along later with a comment about 12s combined with subs being the optimum combination--I did hear at a speaker presentation they have more movement because the cones have less travel so the reproduction on vocals and high middle is better than 15s.

Thats only my understanding and may not be true.

However if you NEVER intend to use subs I would imagine the 15s would be great.

Personally I would use subs at larger events including marquees but its all personal choice.

Thats because I like hearing a full sound sometimes--but I doubt the customers would always appreciate that.

Possibly have a listen down the Disco shop, thats what is always recommended before buying--- although remember the acoustics differ according to the venue.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    I think Peter will be along later with a comment about 12s combined with subs being the optimum combination--I did hear at a speaker presentation they have more movement because the cones have less travel so the reproduction on vocals and high middle is better than 15s.
    This is also my understanding...

Supplying Premier DJ's for Weddings,
    Birthdays & Social Events.

www.basingstokediscos.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by hadyn View Post
    Hi Charlie
    I have used art 315s for about 5 years now
    Depending on venue whether I use 1or2 rcf subs as well but for smaller venues these have always been great
    I have never had to worry about enough bass with just the 315s and after comparing them with my back up active speakers alto ts 115s there is no comparison
    Cost an arm and a leg to get fixed if they go wrong so perhaps insurance warranty would be a good idea
    Overall a great speaker with lovely sound although I have no experience of 312as I would say the extra money is worth it for the extra bang
    Hadyn
    Have you had any problems with yours? If so what problems? I would only want to use 1 RCF active sub with them for my larger gigs. Would this be ok for 200 in a medium venue? Just curious to know as I've got no experience with RCF!

Thats only my understanding and may not be true.

However if you NEVER intend to use subs I would imagine the 15s would be great.

Personally I would use subs at larger events including marquees but its all personal choice.

Thats because I like hearing a full sound sometimes--but I doubt the customers would always appreciate that.

Possibly have a listen down the Disco shop, thats what is always recommended before buying--- although remember the acoustics differ according to the venue.
    I'm thinking the 15" ones for practicality. I'm going to uni in a few years so I would need to carry them up stairs and store them in my room etc.. Also I would have to put them in a reasonably small car. I would like to invest in a 15" RCF sub in the future though to go with them, would that be a powerful system that could cope with most medium size gigs? I also thought that the 12" ones may be better sounding but the 15" ones have a max spl of 129 compared to 127 from the 12". What would your thoughts be?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie123 View Post
    I'm thinking the 15" ones for practicality. I'm going to uni in a few years so I would need to carry them up stairs and store them in my room etc.. Also I would have to put them in a reasonably small car. I would like to invest in a 15" RCF sub in the future though to go with them, would that be a powerful system that could cope with most medium size gigs? I also thought that the 12" ones may be better sounding but the 15" ones have a max spl of 129 compared to 127 from the 12". What would your thoughts be?
    Well, RCF owners will be along to give you more good advice shortly no doubt, but generally I would say the 15s would be good for small to medium events on their own.

I guess the sub would be needed for larger events and marquees, but cant see it going in a small car.

Not sure about storing equipment in uni rooms--the theft risk might be high?

In a nutshell, the theory is that as the frequencies reproduced get higher, the size of the speaker driver should decrease, for best results. As with all things, we have to compromise. I've got a thread running elsewhere about a proposed rig which in effect may be a four way rig. It's impractical for use on the road, it's just a bit of fun to see what's possible with the kit I have.

The " best " results come from a stack of cabs such as we see on Speakerplans and the like, with Subs, Mids, High Mids and tops, for example. The compromise comes, when you've only got a small vehicle to shift them in, and it's a fifty yard carry into a Golf Club ( where the function rooms are invariably upstairs, and lifts are rare ), then that's totally and utterly unfeasible.

My advice would be that if you regularly do functions where speech/vocals are a major part of the event ( Karaoke, presentations and the like ) and you're not looking to go down the line array route ( Bose, Vertus, Maui et al ) then 12" tops ( preferably with subs ) are almost mandatory, and be prepared to lose some bass if you have to use them on their own. ( And again, having said that, John did a gig with poor access, where I refused to carry a powered sub upstairs, and his 12" RCF's on their own sounded lovely, way better than they had a right to.

If you never do Karaoke, and rarely do presentations, commentaries on Sports days and suchlike, then 15" is the way forward, because with or without subs they'll offer a more rounded sound than 12" models of the same cab. ( Usually. ) I just know someone's going to relate their experience of smaller cabs sounding bassier than their larger brethren, ( and I reckon I know who, and what cabs. ) but I'm generalising. If I'm limited to using one pair of cabs for whatever reason, I usually choose the 15" ones.

That's a gross over- simplification, but as always, the advice of "listen before you buy " is worth following.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Well, RCF owners will be along to give you more good advice shortly no doubt, but generally I would say the 15s would be good for small to medium events on their own.

I guess the sub would be needed for larger events and marquees, but cant see it going in a small car.

Not sure about storing equipment in uni rooms--the theft risk might be high?
    I don't do huge event really? I think the very max I would do is 200. Yeah true, I was just thinking for practicallity. I don't want to get the wrong type of speaker now just because I may not use any subs or only use one sub for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    In a nutshell, the theory is that as the frequencies reproduced get higher, the size of the speaker driver should decrease, for best results. As with all things, we have to compromise. I've got a thread running elsewhere about a proposed rig which in effect may be a four way rig. It's impractical for use on the road, it's just a bit of fun to see what's possible with the kit I have.

The " best " results come from a stack of cabs such as we see on Speakerplans and the like, with Subs, Mids, High Mids and tops, for example. The compromise comes, when you've only got a small vehicle to shift them in, and it's a fifty yard carry into a Golf Club ( where the function rooms are invariably upstairs, and lifts are rare ), then that's totally and utterly unfeasible.

My advice would be that if you regularly do functions where speech/vocals are a major part of the event ( Karaoke, presentations and the like ) and you're not looking to go down the line array route ( Bose, Vertus, Maui et al ) then 12" tops ( preferably with subs ) are almost mandatory, and be prepared to lose some bass if you have to use them on their own. ( And again, having said that, John did a gig with poor access, where I refused to carry a powered sub upstairs, and his 12" RCF's on their own sounded lovely, way better than they had a right to.

If you never do Karaoke, and rarely do presentations, commentaries on Sports days and suchlike, then 15" is the way forward, because with or without subs they'll offer a more rounded sound than 12" models of the same cab. ( Usually. ) I just know someone's going to relate their experience of smaller cabs sounding bassier than their larger brethren, ( and I reckon I know who, and what cabs. ) but I'm generalising. If I'm limited to using one pair of cabs for whatever reason, I usually choose the 15" ones.

That's a gross over- simplification, but as always, the advice of "listen before you buy " is worth following.
    They would be used for the usual discos to be honest, max crowd of 200 , so would a mic sound nice and clean through them? I will invest in a 15" active RCF sub in the near future. For my typical use so you think I would be better off with the 15" or the 12"? :/ I just presumed having two 15" tops and a 15" sub with high max SPL readings would be a loud, good system?