Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?

Did a wedding last night. Was paid fully upfront weeks in advance The B&G booked me from 7 until midnight. Around 8pm I went and spoke to the manageress (Who was a right stroppy cow. From the moment we arrived there. ) and asked her if she wanted us to call last orders and if so what time? To which she informed me 10:45pm would be sufficient

I then informed her that the B&G had booked me until midnight. To which she repiled "Not my problem we're only booked until 11pm and want you out of the building by midnight." I then went and informed the B&G about what the manageress had told me. I think you can imagine what their reaction to that was. Any way to cut a long story (Spandau Ballet style) short. After much toing and froing between B&G and management we finished at 11:10pm. We were prepared to see our part of the contract through, but still I felt for the B&G. Immediate thoughts were "Typical the DJ gets screwed again" but I felt I had to offer them some cash back. Cos I felt I had short changed them. They informed me no chance . Mary and I had done a superb job and it wasn't our fault. At least the offer was there. Am I being too soft?........As in the title thread?????

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

I wouldn't have offered, but fair play to you for doing so.

I remember a wedding I did getting stopped by the venue half an hour or so after the first dance (due to a very violent fight breaking out). Whilst I felt bad for the bride, I packed up and headed home with my full fee in my pocket. I did feel bad for the bride but sentiment doesn't pay the bills or put food on the table.

No chance, if the venue have told them they could of had entertainment until midnight and then changed their minds then get the refund from the venue. You haven't done anything wrong here....
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I wouldn't have offered, but fair play to you for doing so.

I remember a wedding I did getting stopped by the venue half an hour or so after the first dance (due to a very violent fight breaking out). Whilst I felt bad for the bride, I packed up and headed home with my full fee in my pocket. I did feel bad for the bride but sentiment doesn't pay the bills or put food on the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    No chance, if the venue have told them they could of had entertainment until midnight and then changed their minds then get the refund from the venue. You haven't done anything wrong here....
    Thanks Shaun/Neil

We just felt so sorry for the B&G. At least if the offer was there, then they couldn't throw that back at us.

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE HANLEY View Post
    Thanks Shaun/Neil

We just felt so sorry for the B&G. At least if the offer was there, then they couldn't throw that back at us.
    This is a classic case of the manageress shouldn't be in the job she is in - "hospitality" ummmm

Whilst it is easy to feel sorry for the bride and groom, remember that the problem wasn't with you it was with the venue - so if anyone should refund then that would clearly lie with the venue as it is them who wanted to finish earlier then possibly agreed.

However, you may want to change the way you word your contracts to avoid any confusion in the future. I put on mine from 7 not exceeding midnight. That way if it finishes anytime before midnight then i'm covered.

You did a good job though and the bride and groom were happy with you - so don't worry about it - it's the venue that will ultimately loose when word gets out!

Default Contract now changed

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Collins View Post
    This is a classic case of the manageress shouldn't be in the job she is in - "hospitality" ummmm

Whilst it is easy to feel sorry for the bride and groom, remember that the problem wasn't with you it was with the venue - so if anyone should refund then that would clearly lie with the venue as it is them who wanted to finish earlier then possibly agreed.

However, you may want to change the way you word your contracts to avoid any confusion in the future. I put on mine from 7 not exceeding midnight. That way if it finishes anytime before midnight then i'm covered.

You did a good job though and the bride and groom were happy with you - so don't worry about it - it's the venue that will ultimately loose when word gets out!
    This is a very good point and has made me revisit my contract and check the wording

Steve, you won't be surprised to find that I too have seen this, and more than once. I've never felt the urge to offer a refund, since I ( or in this cas, you and Mary ) have provided a service to the best of your abiities. The fact that the venue curtailed your efforts is beyond your control. Not your problem, you were prepared to fulfill your duties, the venue didn't allow you to.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I've had this situation a number of times in the past but for the last 5 years or so as soon as I get to the venue I seek out the manager/ess and confirm the times. Sometimes these conflicts are due to genuine mistakes or misunderstandings between the client and venue and, sometimes, it's the client at fault as they've just assumed that the venue will allow the DJ to go on that late. I always tell clients up front to confirm everything with the venue before the event, getting it in writing if possible, as I won't be responsible for any decision by the venue to end the night prior to the time I'm booked until. This usually does the trick!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I have had this happen a few times, so pack up at the finish time and go basically.

Good on you for the offer though Steve, and I think the decision would rest on how you quote for a job. This is one of the reasons I never quote per hour - my quotes are all the same until 1am (which covers 99.9% of my bookings) so whether they finish at 10pm or 1am the fee is the same. This also negates the question being asked if starting later for any reason.

Funnily enough I have just taking a booking for 7pm -930pm and I quoted my usual fee, they did ask if there was any discount for the shortened time, but after my explaniation were fine and went ahead and booked.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Collins View Post

I put on mine from 7 not exceeding midnight. That way if it finishes anytime before midnight then i'm covered.
    You did a good job though and the bride and groom were happy with you - so don't worry about it - it's the venue that will ultimately loose when word gets
    Same here--generally I have a turnout charge for the evening---typically 7pm to 12pm--- no reductions for less hours---so an early finish makes no difference to my charges.

No dont feel bad--cuts out the need for them to tip you for a great night

As has been mentioned you might want to change your T and Cs---also I see the old chesnut--you have to be out by......you might want to cover that in your T and Cs as well.

I had an early finish in Yorkshire this year--finished an hour before the time I was booked---however they had persuaded me to start an hour earlier for no extra charge--I decided to bite the bullet---what goes round comes round eh?