Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Just" A Singer

Default "Just" A Singer

Hello everyone. My search for lights has led me here - I hope you don't mind the intrusion of a non-DJ! But, hey, we're all entertainers so I'm sure you'll accommodate me.

I've been singing solo for five years now, ever since my garage band decided they wanted to stay in the garage. My thing is swing and, whilst it's not everyone's cup of tea, I manage to get a decent amount of work from it. Not enough to give up the day job yet but it's still early days.

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell. Nice to be here and I'm sure I'll learn a lot from everyone on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SwingKing View Post
    Hello everyone. My search for lights has led me here - I hope you don't mind the intrusion of a non-DJ!
    Not at all, it's good to have you here, and a fresh perspective is always helpful.

But, hey, we're all entertainers so I'm sure you'll accommodate me.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh, he used the E word!!!!!!! Incoming.

Don't worry Stefan, it's just a running gag that not all our members view themselves as Entertainers ( though they do see themselves as purveyors of entertainment, funnily enough. ) You'll get used to our little foibles soon enough, and there's lots of information freely available on here.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Welcome Stefan.

Hello &

We've got a few DJs who also sing, plus DJs who go out as a 'package' with singers on here already, but I don't think we've got any members who are "Just" A Singer

Hope you stick around, as it's nice to get a different perspective on things

Hello and welcome Stefan - lots of us work with singers at one time or another so it's good to have them onboard.

Hey Stefan

Dude: you should never describe yourself as "just" anything.
    Except if you're a gigalo.

Like you, I am a singer (who also DJs!..there *is* a difference ) so you're not alone here. I started (a while ago! ) in live bands too and moved to working solo for business reasons.
    I sing swing & popular jazz, but mainly do party sets of pop/rock/soul/himalayan throat singing. One of these may be a lie.

I have picked up no end of tips and tricks from this forum: I know you will too, especially if you're looking to build and improve your service. There are lots of very knowledgeable and helpful people on here... I wish more live artist were as clued up as the DJs here. (But then I also wish more DJs were as clued-up as the DJs on here, too.)

ANYWAY - welcome along. We should network!

Take care...and have fun

Jon Paul

Thanks all for the warm welcome - much appreciated.

Funnily enough, Just A Gigolo returns to the set list this Saturday!

Default welcome

Welcome to the forum.
    How many jobs a year can a swing singer do in Liverpool?
    I know one in Manchester who can't get any work as such.
    Lee
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

Hello, Lee. I think the cabaret restaurant in Blundell Street started off modelling itself as a kind of modern-day Sands, but now, looking at its roster of artists, it's gone the way of trying to provide all things to all men - always a mistake, I think. Personally, when I play Liverpool it's only for private functions - I don't play the bars and clubs there. I'm based in Wirral but since no-one knows where that is, and because of inverted snobbery on my part, I always say I'm based in Liverpool!

It's always a shame when bar owners turn their nose up at swing artists, because the punters love that style of music. I've adopted a reverse psychology when looking for gigs now. Maybe this will work for the singer you know. I turn up at the venue, ostensibly for a pint, and the after maybe an hour or so I'll cotton on to the bar manager and say something like "I see you have 'live' acts on" and they ask if I know someone or if I perform and I say "Yes, but I really don't think your venue is suitable for what I do". That tends to pique their interest and gives me the upper hand. Eight out of ten times, it gets me work as opposed to the cap-in-hand approach I used to adopt (although that can still work, too - I'm not proud, I'll try anything!).

Default Smart

Hello, Lee. I think the cabaret restaurant in Blundell Street started off modelling itself as a kind of modern-day Sands, but now, looking at its roster of artists, it's gone the way of trying to provide all things to all men - always a mistake, I think. Personally, when I play Liverpool it's only for private functions - I don't play the bars and clubs there. I'm based in Wirral but since no-one knows where that is, and because of inverted snobbery on my part, I always say I'm based in Liverpool!

It's always a shame when bar owners turn their nose up at swing artists, because the punters love that style of music. I've adopted a reverse psychology when looking for gigs now. Maybe this will work for the singer you know. I turn up at the venue, ostensibly for a pint, and the after maybe an hour or so I'll cotton on to the bar manager and say something like "I see you have 'live' acts on" and they ask if I know someone or if I perform and I say "Yes, but I really don't think your venue is suitable for what I do". That tends to pique their interest and gives me the upper hand. Eight out of ten times, it gets me work as opposed to the cap-in-hand approach I used to adopt (although that can still work, too - I'm not proud, I'll try anything!).
    Wow. That is a smart idea.
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/