Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing the Spark

Default Losing the Spark

Hi Folks

I thought I would come on here to get some innovation/motivation from you DJ's out there.

I've been DJ'ing now for around 18 years and only in the past year I have lost my spark for the job. I am getting to the point where I dread going out to gigs and cant face trying to get people to dance.
    I mainly focus on the wedding market and although I get good feed back at times, only recently I have been having a bad run of gigs where I cant get people up to dance. I been looking at my playlist and comparing them with some on here and they don't differ that much so whats happening

Im a full time DJ and freelance AV technician so cant really afford to give the discos up as the money is good. I see on Facebook how so many DJ's are out all weekend and seem to get a real buzz from the job but mine has disappeared!!!!

I have recently invested in kit and updated my marketing so all is well there but I just cant get the enjoyment back into it.

Does anyone else out there have this feeling or is it just me?

Cheers

Frankie

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Frankie View Post
    I've been DJ'ing now for around 18 years and only in the past year I have lost my spark for the job. I am getting to the point where I dread going out to gigs and cant face trying to get people to dance.

Does anyone else out there have this feeling or is it just me?
    I've only been doing this for four years and I've already been through this three times. In my case it has mostly been because I'm a part timer pressures from family life and/or my day job combined with a run of family parties where motivating people to have a good time has been near impossible have meant that the thought of facing another crowd who have no intention of dancing has driven me spare.

Then there's been a good gig or two where the punters have been properly up for it and the requests have been flooding in from the word go and suddenly it all seems worthwhile.

Thank goodness for Kids parties eh?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Thanks for the reply Julian. My problem is I mainly do weddings and dont get any other kind of gigs like 21st, 18th (Except tonight's gig lol) but its normally very rare.
    I dont do kids parties as I wouldnt know where to start these days with them, even though I ran the kids club when I was a redcoat. I have been thinking about a roadie as this may help with me and the kit and just a bit of company.

Default Requests?

Do you take requests?
    I give guests cards and pens for music requests.
    It makes each night different and enjoyable.
    I find guests dance to the tunes they ask for!
    I just have to weave a few other tunes into mix to pad it out a bit or to plot the musical route.
    I lover the challenge of working a play-list based on what the customers want each night.
    Lee
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

Quote Originally Posted by leelive View Post
    It makes each night different and enjoyable. I find guests dance to the tunes they ask for!
    Requests can be the best and the worst part of the night. Sometimes you get asked for the Gems that you'd forgotten about and other times you get asked for rubbish by insistent and irritating people who don't dance to their own drivel when you play it.

Frequently I find it's more the latter and it's only occasionally I'll get a really memorable tune...

Quote Originally Posted by leelive View Post
    I love the challenge of working a play-list based on what the customers want each night.
    Frequently I find that the challenging bit is getting the guests to wait until I've "weaved" their request into the play list at an appropriate point. More and more I find they have no regard for just how bad it'll sound to jump to their request and what effect it'll have on the dance floor, they just want their tune played now.

Anyway, Back on Topic.

Frankie - have you tried changing your target audience and going for more of different types of functions to give yourself a bit of variety? Is this a possibility, or will this have a negative effect on your income?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

totally agree with jules. the only requests i will guarantee to play will be the clients.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Requests can be the best and the worst part of the night. Sometimes you get asked for the Gems that you'd forgotten about and other times you get asked for rubbish by insistent and irritating people who don't dance to their own drivel when you play it.

Frequently I find it's more the latter and it's only occasionally I'll get a really memorable tune...

Frequently I find that the challenging bit is getting the guests to wait until I've "weaved" their request into the play list at an appropriate point. More and more I find they have no regard for just how bad it'll sound to jump to their request and what effect it'll have on the dance floor, they just want their tune played now.

Anyway, Back on Topic.

Frankie - have you tried changing your target audience and going for more of different types of functions to give yourself a bit of variety? Is this a possibility, or will this have a negative effect on your income?

Julian

After all those years Frankie it's bound to happen mate, I could think of worse things to do for a living At gigs I always try to focus on the more happy, bouncy, foot tapping, singing members of the crowd, guaranteed there's always a few of them !

Frankie, I think we all go through the same thing at some point mate.
    The motivation always comes back though. Just hang in there and it will all come good.
    The Christmas season is just around the corner and a good run of gigs over Christmas with lots of people up for it should sort it for you.
    Good luck and hope it gets better for you.

Thanks for the replies guys, yes I always take request on the night and send out a music request list for the B&G to fill in which helps me as most of them these days are asking their guests to pick one song they would like to hear.

Julian to be honest mate I would happily take 18th & 21st etc but I never get calls for them. The 18th im doing tonight is through an old work colleague but its mainly weddings.

The problem I have is that If I struggle getting a dance floor then I get paranoid that everyone is talking about how crap the DJ is even though I have done this for so many years.

My last wedding was great but again I knew the Bride which helped.

Only now after 18years are you losing the spark! I would think that for 98% of us it would have happened several times over by now. It happens to the majority whatever wallk of life they follow. And no matter what the path taken the advice (massaged according to the audience and the market) is always the same, and has been said above in one or two cases

- go back to the basics of why you first took to being a DJ, do you still feel positively of this? If not, what has changed, is different? Life changes.
    - focus on giving people a good night, regardless of whether they dance or not, as many people are not dancers anyway
    - have a change of scene, try a different market,
    - take a break; is it a relief to be away from it, do you want to come back to it?
    - go partner another DJ or have another DJ partner you, just for the fun of it, it gets pretty lonely at times

and if you repeatedly feel the same way over time, then maybe it is time to walk another path....

Good luck

Jules
    www.djjules.co.uk
    Covering Essex, Kent, East and West Sussex and Surrey