Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ENGLISH Venues with Sound Limiters

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Nice one Shaun--as its my number one hate I will have to dig through the records but can think of one immediately that was a total disgrace and no one should ever play the venue.

I need to check diaries.

Ill be in touch
    This may be long BUT you might spot somewhere to AVOID.

Right heres the worst Sound Limiter system EVER.

Southampton and Portsmouth readers take note.

4th September 2010--event in Bedhampton Social Hall, Bedhampton PO9 3ES.

I meant to write to the Council to complain but ran out of time.

Limiter never mentioned---so client did not appear to know.

As soon as any serious volume reached bang all power dead--thats not the worst bit, not an auto set system.

The man in charge of resetting the power was serving behind the Bar.

Hello Mr Barman I need the power resetting urgently as there are a load of people who want to know why I cant do any Line Dancing.

Reply--hang on I will be free in 5 minutes

Whaaaaat-then he goes to a locked room and goes into a security cupboard to reset the power.

AN ABSOLUTE JOKE AND DISGRACE.

I think its also had trips on all doors and windows other than front door.

Unless this venue has reviewed this nonesense AVOID. Impossible to work with IMHO.

Next Bray Village Hall near Maidenhead some many years ago, so MAYBE its improved---but as Google earth tells you, smack bang next to houses.

Scottish Celebration---love them. First thing Barman says--you will have trouble with the limiter--eh what limiter?????

Quite right---every round of applause or cheer--bang its off--never mind the music---not that there was much of that--TOTALLY RUINED THE WHOLE EVENT.
    Unless its been reviewed AVOID. Impossible to work with IMHO.

Moving South to The Queens Hall, Cuckfield. Bearable limiter but useless if you use the mike a lot ( I do) Screwed up totally the first Barn Dance for the lovely couple of ladies who hired me for a Civil.

Sooo if you let the music do-----not a problem as I blasted things later to get some atmosphere and had no problem--vocal work---big problems.

Well those are my worst ones--

HTH

Arundel Town hall , Sussex

Sound sentry installed in the down stairs function room , not to bad if you back the bass of a bit.

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Excuse my ignorance but what is the purpose of this post?
    Are you going to compile a map or a list or something at the end of it.

I can't see how us posting on her can list enough venues with limiters.

There must be thousands of venues with limiters in so would it not be better getting a list directly from
    the county councils as I am sure they have one main list anyway and would only be too happy to share
    the information with the interests of educating DJ's on the restrictions that should be imposed (limiter make, volume level etc.).

Just a thought and one that may be a very useful resource perhaps?

You could title the site "www.venuestoavoid.co.uk"
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Most DJ's would find this sort of information useful if they were booked at these venues. Would you rather know beforehand or not know?

Quote Originally Posted by lazersounds View Post
    Best Western Russel Hotel Maidstone - Awful set at 80db, even clapping sets it off, on my black list

West Malling Village Hall, Nr Maidstone - Set at 98db so its not too bad

Weald of Kent Golf Club Nr Maidstone - Set at 110db so its a struggle to even get it in the red!

There must be thousands of venues with limiters in so would it not be better getting a list directly from
    the county councils as I am sure they have one main list anyway and would only be too happy to share
    the information with the interests of educating DJ's on the restrictions that should be imposed (limiter make, volume level etc.).

Got to agree for once with Toby on this. At least some sort of mapping with details might be useful.

What about a Google Maps?
    http://goo.gl/maps/2kRa6

I've started it off and I can invite you to collaborate if you want add venues or I could add them in?

Worth a try ?
    Last edited by WWDJ; 04-11-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Most DJ's would find this sort of information useful if they were booked at these venues. Would you rather know beforehand or not know?
    I agree with why, which is not my point.

There appears (to me) to be no structure to this list as its a load of random posts all over the UK.
    There is also no way that unless this thread is millions pages long we can cover all the main venues in the UK.

What DJ will spend all day reading through that to find random venues relevant to them?

Surley a list thats divided up in to areas or even districts would be easier and more beneficial to use

Quote Originally Posted by WWDJ View Post
    Got to agree for once with Toby on this. At least some sort of mapping with details might be useful.

What about a Google Maps?
    http://goo.gl/maps/2kRa6

I've started it off and I can invite you to collaborate if you want add venues or I could add them in?

Worth a try ?
    Thats a good idea. Edit - just had a look and that would work

I still think someone must have a list in some office somewhere, which will make the job much easier.
    Last edited by yourdj; 05-11-2012 at 12:05 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Thats a good idea. Edit - just had a look and that would work

I still think someone must have a list in some office somewhere, which will make the job much easier.
    With regards to finding that list in that office I think you are the man for the job ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    This may be long BUT you might spot somewhere to AVOID.

Right heres the worst Sound Limiter system EVER.

Southampton and Portsmouth readers take note.

4th September 2010--event in Bedhampton Social Hall, Bedhampton PO9 3ES.

I meant to write to the Council to complain but ran out of time.

Limiter never mentioned---so client did not appear to know.

As soon as any serious volume reached bang all power dead--thats not the worst bit, not an auto set system.

The man in charge of resetting the power was serving behind the Bar.

Hello Mr Barman I need the power resetting urgently as there are a load of people who want to know why I cant do any Line Dancing.

Reply--hang on I will be free in 5 minutes

Whaaaaat-then he goes to a locked room and goes into a security cupboard to reset the power.

AN ABSOLUTE JOKE AND DISGRACE.

I think its also had trips on all doors and windows other than front door.

Unless this venue has reviewed this nonesense AVOID. Impossible to work with IMHO.

Next Bray Village Hall near Maidenhead some many years ago, so MAYBE its improved---but as Google earth tells you, smack bang next to houses.

Scottish Celebration---love them. First thing Barman says--you will have trouble with the limiter--eh what limiter?????

Quite right---every round of applause or cheer--bang its off--never mind the music---not that there was much of that--TOTALLY RUINED THE WHOLE EVENT.
    Unless its been reviewed AVOID. Impossible to work with IMHO.

Moving South to The Queens Hall, Cuckfield. Bearable limiter but useless if you use the mike a lot ( I do) Screwed up totally the first Barn Dance for the lovely couple of ladies who hired me for a Civil.

Sooo if you let the music do-----not a problem as I blasted things later to get some atmosphere and had no problem--vocal work---big problems.

Well those are my worst ones--

HTH
    Another one thats a bit tricky--Bourne End Village Hall near Hemel Hempstead/Berkhamsted.

Right in a built up area--I managed to avoid cut off ( just) last time with the traffic light system but that was a Barn Dance--for a loudish Disco I think think you would have problems.

Just had a Wedding enquiry which reminded me

Toby, the purpose of the thread is obviously to help us out!
    Yes, there probably are thousands of limiters in venues all over the UK and yes, there are probably lists available to obtain from County Councils.
    Anything that helps us is a good thing is it not?
    It used to be a question I asked all the time "Do you know if the venue has sound limiters installed?" but I get a lot of repeat work at venues I have been to before so I know the answer already.
    I generally say now that if a venue has a sound limiter, I need to know the db levels otherwise I won't go into them.
    I think it's good that a list like this can exist on the forum.
    It's not likely that it will happen to me but I'd hate to turn up at a venue where the customer has said there isn't a limiter (maybe they haven't been told or have missed the small print?) and I find that there is one. Having a list of venues with limiters and hopefully db levels will be a big help.

Norfolk. Drayton Old Lodge. Internal mic in unit used and its placed low down right behind where your right hand speaker goes so it just picks up the bass from back of speaker. Take long leads and place the offending speaker half way down the dancefloor, away from the limiter. Gives you more headroom!