Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ENGLISH Venues with Sound Limiters

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Not sure it's any better than doing a search to be honest. The map doesn't really add value that I can see (though willing to be convinced otherwise) and the list is non-alphabetical, so needs to be scrolled through, and once any database is over a certain size you need a search function anyway.

And if the venue isn't on the map perhaps there's a post about it, so you'd still end up doing a search just in case, and possibly finding other posts about the venue as well.
    The idea would be that people (or Toby) would put the venue on the map as a pin.
    Then you zoom in to your area on the map to see which venues might give you issues.

It's an alternative way to handle the hundreds of venues that are likely to get listed

The list on the map doesn't serve a huge purpose, it the map itself that is useful?

Map adds loads of value assuming it gets filled in

You just zoom to your area scroll over each marker and get all the information need about local venues close to you.

Come on get posting people

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...2488,19.753418

This guy has listed a few:

http://www.cloudandsunmobiledisco.co...uesplayed.html
    Last edited by yourdj; 10-11-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Default BRAUNSTONE CIVIC CENTRE LEICS

Any one played here guys?

Just got the big heavy threatening letter from the Council advising of 96 decibels and not to tamper with the sound limiter or do a by pass on pain of prosecution.

Personally I believe I will have to cancel and give the client their deposit back--my Country Show is not excessively loud but my pa /vocals including yee has and customers clapping and yelling/stamping feet are likely to trip the limiter I think.

I am not prepared to compromise my show and effectively ruin the clients evening for which they are playing a large sum of money.

I have had too many of those in the past.

According to the paperwork--IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE HIRER AND THE DISCO OPERATOR to ensure noise is kept to a reasonable level--I dont recall signing anything agreeing to that--our last run in with a Council ended with us refusing to sign their unacceptable Contract where they wanted up to accept ALL LIABILITIES and indemnify them in respect of ANYTHING to do with our Rodeo Bull---immediately invalidating our Insurance.

Anyway I will be going to the hall to test the limiter with my kit urgently and take it from there.

So anyone been there out of interest and any comments /feedback ?

Thanks in advance---

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Any one played here guys?

Just got the big heavy threatening letter from the Council advising of 96 decibels and not to tamper with the sound limiter or do a by pass on pain of prosecution.

Personally I believe I will have to cancel and give the client their deposit back--my Country Show is not excessively loud but my pa /vocals including yee has and customers clapping and yelling/stamping feet are likely to trip the limiter I think.

I am not prepared to compromise my show and effectively ruin the clients evening for which they are playing a large sum of money.

I have had too many of those in the past.

According to the paperwork--IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE HIRER AND THE DISCO OPERATOR to ensure noise is kept to a reasonable level--I dont recall signing anything agreeing to that--our last run in with a Council ended with us refusing to sign their unacceptable Contract where they wanted up to accept ALL LIABILITIES and indemnify them in respect of ANYTHING to do with our Rodeo Bull---immediately invalidating our Insurance.

Anyway I will be going to the hall to test the limiter with my kit urgently and take it from there.

So anyone been there out of interest and any comments /feedback ?

Thanks in advance---
    Nobody has played this one then.

Ah well---I have now

Took my smallest kit there today, no subs--set up in the massive hall and tested the limiter with music and mike.

Surprisingly reasonable because a lot of the sound is absorbed by large curtains and the ceiling tiles.

In summary ok for an event not needing ear bleedingly loud music and reasonable bass--probably most Wedding events--even pushing the limiter into the red did not cut out--so a bit more sympathetic than a lot I have worked with.

The staff did say they have a lot of cut out problems in the smaller room because the sound presumably is not absorbed.

A successful visit combined with some Rodeo Bull business as I wasnt sure if I was going to have to cancel

Definitely a workable situation---even if I have to keep the yee has under control

Please add:

Sedgebrook Hall - Northampton - Main Hall.

It is set very low and the indicator lights are usually hidden by the "Tent Style Lining"
    and if you trip it you have to wait for the barman to reset it and depending on how busy
    it is depends on how long he takes to goto the cupboard to reset it.

I know one of our members is the "local DJ" so interested for his comments.
    -------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------
    www.vip-disco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by welby View Post
    Please add:

Sedgebrook Hall - Northampton - Main Hall.

It is set very low and the indicator lights are usually hidden by the "Tent Style Lining"
    and if you trip it you have to wait for the barman to reset it and depending on how busy
    it is depends on how long he takes to goto the cupboard to reset it.

I know one of our members is the "local DJ" so interested for his comments.
    Good grief--I thought I had come across the only one of these situations in the UK in Portsmouth--

BUT ON MY DOORSTEP

Makes note in diary to---

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Beaufort Suite, Bishops College, Cheshunt, Herts.

Our hearts sank when we arrived to do a kids birthday party in a hall to find it had a limiter (It is a venue we've played in before, but not for some time, plus I emailed the venue in advance, but they neglected to mention the limiter - despite it being one of my standard queries).

Apparently, it is set to 87dB.

However, the microphone is suspended from the ceiling in the middle of the room (above the dance floor), and, as there is a balcony on two sides of the room, the centre is double height. This meant that, although we did hit the red once or twice for a split second when we had the kids shouting loudly, we didn't have any problems whatsoever. Background music didn't even register on the traffic light system, and even tracks with a heavy bass only occasionally went to amber.

Steve is still there now - doing a Christmas party for the adults!