Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best software???

Default Whats the best software???

I know its a bit of daft question , because everyone will have their own favourite etc etc, but just got me a new laptop copied all my music over and am now wondering what is the easiest way of running it, have my 1st wedding disco this Saturday, have looked at a few different types of software i.e ultramixer, Mixx, Virtual dj, have only used discs in the past and want things to go smoothly, any suggestions greatly received, is there a program that works with window media player because some of the software didn't want to play nicely, if possible I want to search for tracks with media player drag and drop into another package, like I said havn't run off a laptop before so feeling a bit wet behind the ears!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by leeroy View Post
    I know its a bit of daft question , because everyone will have their own favourite etc etc, but just got me a new laptop copied all my music over and am now wondering what is the easiest way of running it, have my 1st wedding disco this Saturday, have looked at a few different types of software i.e ultramixer, Mixx, Virtual dj, have only used discs in the past and want things to go smoothly, any suggestions greatly received, is there a program that works with window media player because some of the software didn't want to play nicely, if possible I want to search for tracks with media player drag and drop into another package, like I said havn't run off a laptop before so feeling a bit wet behind the ears!!!!
    My personal favourite is Traktor Pro 2. In my opinion the best software for pure DJing. It doesn't do karaoke.

It doesn't support drag and drop but you can read ITunes playlists.

The search in Traktor is really good.

There is a small learning curve as with any software but once you get used to how it works you won't want to work without it.

As you correctly put , every one will have their own view/opinion.
    For me.

Ultramixer all the way , I have stuck with it from Ultra mixer 2 . and have talked to the developers , and as a result , Ultra mixer 4 is what I asked for.

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

I think you must try demos and see if the software meets your needs - I prefer simple and basic - others prefer feature laden and complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by leeroy View Post
    I'd say that trying a completely new way of DJ'ing days before a wedding isn't a good idea. You've already experienced problems by the sound of it so I'd be nervous using it for such an important event.

You'll probably need a controller, and a back-up system is advisable. You may also need a ProDub licence (if you've ripped your discs to your computer you definitely will).

I'd advise sticking to discs until you have all these things sorted and tested. And running the laptop side by side with your discs is a good idea for your first few gigs at least.

But to answer your question, I use Traktor, it runs fine on my Mac and OODJ and I find it easy to use. You can search for tracks within Traktor so no need to have any other programme open, you don't really want to drag and drop from one programme to another if you don't have to.

Free demo versions of all the DJ programmes are available for download, so best advice is try a few and see which you prefer (but don't be tempted to try and gig with a demo version, most have features disabled or time out after a certain time).

Not sure this is posted in the correct section. Maybe Computer DJ would have been more appropriate??
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Not sure this is posted in the correct section. Maybe Computer DJ would have been more appropriate??
    well spotted - I'll move it.

Best?

Traktor, Serato, VDJ are the most common and renowned as "the best"
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Martin ( Funkymook ) has given his usual excellent and logical advice. If I might answer the original question by slightly altering it:

Best DJ software?
    For me it has to be Virtual DJ. Runs music, video and Karaoke easily, and has so far been proved to be fairly numpty proof. You can get a basic controller for £50. Ticks all the boxes for me. I've never used other programs, but "if it ain't broke.........................."

Best music software?
    Now that's blindingly simple. Especially since it's possible to start with a fully functional free version. You can upgrade to the bells and whistles program later if you wish. At around £15, it won't break the bank. Regular members will already know I'm going to advocate Media Monkey. I ran it alongside CD decks when I started to go digital, it's easy to use, and so versatile. Last night, I was forced to download an album from the accursed itunes. I don't know whether I missed ticking a box somewhere, cos it's ages since I've done it, but they downloaded as M4a files, and it was a matter of seconds to get MM to convert them.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

It's not really a case of what software is best but more a case of what's best for you. Vdj I'd easier to get to grips with than Traktor but doesn't give the same level of control. MediaMonkey is a great lightweight player but not for top-notch mixing or beat-matching.

Two other options are Swift Elite which has better visual options. And SAM PartyDJ if you like to preset playlists as its autoDJ function is really quite good.

You really need to try out the software and see which is best for you and which you are more comfortable with. Oh, and then get lots of practise in before taking it live!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!