Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Wireless mic receiver - broken ariel.

Default Wireless mic receiver - broken ariel.

I've managed to snap the tiny ariel off my mic's receiver. I'm sure it's a common occurrence so what do people do to repair/replace it, and does it make much difference anyway?

Hi Martin, is it a rubberised type or metal/telescopic ? Also does it have a bayonet or screw type fitting ?
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    Hi Martin, is it a rubberised type or metal/telescopic ? Also does it have a bayonet or screw type fitting ?
    It's basically a short metal tube, I broke it about quarter of the way up. Do I need to find a really small coat-hanger?

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    It's basically a short metal tube, I broke it about quarter of the way up. Do I need to find a really small coat-hanger?
    Not really, the size of coat-hanger is unimportant as it can always be trimmed to length using pliers.
    You would however create a major safety issue with the exposed point, so not really recommended.
    Is it possible to remove the broken base from the unit ?. If so, it is possible to purchase an indoor TV antenna from 'poundland' or similar and with a small screwdriver replace the broken part with one from the new item.
    If not, simply cut the antenna to the diameter approximating to one above your existing stub and slide it over.
    There are also 'rubber duck' antennae available with a hollow base and a screw clamp which serve the same end.

It should be remembered though that antennae length need to be 'matched' to the wavelengths on which they operate. Usually in typical ratios of 1/8th, 1/4 , 1/2 wave etc. This will also take into account the length of connecting mechanism and any 'coil' incorporated.

Whether or not their presence makes a difference is subjective however, and you would need to experiment.
    I would think that with the 'stub' it will still receive but that the operating range will be restricted ?
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    I've managed to snap the tiny ariel off my mic's receiver. I'm sure it's a common occurrence so what do people do to repair/replace it, and does it make much difference anyway?
    Out of interest, which unit is it (make/model?)
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Mine broke as well and has had no effect on performance. I can still walk around a large area and it picks up the mic. Don't worry about it.