Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Hello Everybody at MDD

Default Hello Everybody at MDD

Hello, I am based in near Croydon in South London.

I am not the average DJ in that I have never actually run a disco before in my life!

It is my fiftieth birthday this coming February and I want it to be a bit different so I am going to DJ it and have been buying a set-up, piece by piece, from Ebay etc.

So far I have the DJ stand with overhead truss, a star cloth, a crossover, two amps, tops and bins, some Konig actives, and some DMX lights and a DMX controller. Muisc comes from a laptop, a Vestax VCI-100, and my mixer has an Ipod dock.

It is all set up in my lounge and the wife has some specific views on this which means it will not stay there forever. But while practising with it all I am beginning to get bitten by the bug and like everybody I always need some spare cash so I might end up taking it on the road and doing some gigs for strangers for money, eek!!!!!

Anyway look forward to reading and hopefully contributing to the forums. Cheers Paul

Nice intro and welcome.

I wasn't reading properly and I thought you said you were 15 until the part where you mentioned your wife!!

Welcome.

Wow... that's an unusual way to go about sorting the DJ for your own party. Of course, it does mean that you won't be out with your guests chatting and mingling, but if you're happy about that then I'm sure you'll get a different sort of enjoyment from the night.

If you're considering going out to provide a service, I would strongly suggest reading lots, and lots, and lots on here, and don't be afraid to ask plenty of questions. Also, try and find a reputable and established DJ in your area that you could go out with to learn the ropes.

You'll quickly discover that the kit is a very small part of the equation, and also that one of the secrets of getting it right for the client is the preparation (ie communication with the client prior to the night.)

Yes Angela, a bit unusual. But I will run Virtual DJ for a while on automix and out of the 5 hours I will prob do two 45 minute stints. Have a girl from work who is going to sing so that will pad it out a bit.

I have read alot already all over the internet etc and agree the kit is a small part of the equation. I would add that this is the first and only forum I have joined because of the massive amount of useful advice I already found here and the personalities I've already spotted that give it a real community/club feel.

Glad you're finding it useful, and yes, we're lucky to have a really good bunch on here who are happy to help, share, etc.

Dive in!

Hello and welcome to MDD.

If you're DJ'ing your own birthday party don't miss the opportunity to tell all your friends you can do theirs as well. A lot of people started as a 'friends and family' DJ, it's a great way of building confidence and experience before venturing into playing for total strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Nice intro and welcome.

I wasn't reading properly and I thought you said you were 15 until the part where you mentioned your wife!!
    Haha.. me too

...the chemistry of music
    ''''

Yes Martin, I was thinking it might be a bit of a self-publicity opportunity.

A married 15 year old DJ might create a bit of free publicity too!

Welcome along Paul, I agree with your comments about this place. It is a great place to gain knowledge, and as Angela says, it is freely shared.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Welcome Paul. There is no greater feeling than playing to a full dance floor and everyone enjoying the music that you are playing. This last happened to me January 13th 1997 and it was brilliant