Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best excuse for a let-down

Default Best excuse for a let-down

We've all heard about DJs committing to a booking and then later backing out / letting people down etc, and I'm sure we've all frequently heard about the DJ breaking his leg (that seems to be the favourite one around here), but what's the best / most unbelievable / most incredulous excuse you've heard of?

The best one I recall was a DJ who had agreed to do a gig, but a couple of weeks before the event backed out because his parents needed a lift to the airport as they were going on holiday. He couldn't understand why that wasn't acceptable because "Family always comes first" !!!!!!!!

Over to you...

I've not heard a lot of these stories the only ones I have covered/know are true are -

1)DJ didn't turn up because he couldn't find the venue and didn't think to check where it was before setting out, he just went on the directions he was given.
    2)DJ phoned 4 hours before to say everything was fine and then never showed up and turned his phone off.
    3)Van Broken down, although I believe this to be the truth and not a ploy to get out of a gig.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Only had one this year, took a call at 6pm from a friend who was attending a party and the DJ had not shown and noone could get hold of him.

Luckly was only a mile away and was not working so agreed a fee and done the job. Was told the DJ originally booked was "a friend of a friend of a friend" who was doing it for £30 Later found out that the DJ Booked was in town all afternoon drinking and was too drunk to bother turning up
    Maidstone Based Professional Disco
    www.lasersounds.co.uk

I don’t have a DJ related poor excuse story but I do have a work related one. My sister-in-law worked in an office with a strange woman, who did EVERYTHING routinely. She ate her meals at the same time everyday, had her bath at exactly the same time every day, and so on.
    Anyway, she turned up late for the office one Monday 2 hours late and her excuse was that the Tesco's car park on the Saturday morning was temporarily closed for two hours, which meant that her shopping started two hours later.
    She thought that her coming in later was quite reasonable

The DJ couldn't drive and when the taxi turned up they refused to take all his kit.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I had a call out a couple of years ago when their resident DJ did not show for a gig, to make matters worst the gig was for a ex girlfriend and her husbands family. Found out about 3 weeks later, the reason the resident guy did not show was because he died, apparently commuted suicide.

Years ago i planned to take a rare NYE booking off........So over the years i trained my roadie on how to set up and what to play etc so i could have a year off.....
    All set up on the big night as i crack open one beer and sit back and chill..........Phone rings....."My girlfriend has been ringing me non stop,i am going to have to cancel tonight's NYE gig"!!!......... Cut a long story short i told him to go and i had to then step in and complete the night......Never used him again....And always since then i do all my own gigs....

That's reminded me of another one: "My girlfriend's fed up with me going out to DJ and never being around on a Saturday night, so she's run off with the car & I can't get to the gig."

Thankfully, he was only a trainee, so it didn't really affect the gig as the DJ was going anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    That's reminded me of another one: "My girlfriend's fed up with me going out to DJ and never being around on a Saturday night, so she's run off with the car & I can't get to the gig."

Thankfully, he was only a trainee, so it didn't really affect the gig as the DJ was going anyway.
    Sounds like excuse to me, surely if she took the car she's not seeing him anyway!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    The DJ couldn't drive and when the taxi turned up they refused to take all his kit.
    Just to make it clear, I was not this DJ!!

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post

Again, I'm pretty sure that this wasn't me (although it does sound like my previous relationship!!!). Can't be me - I didn't have a car and don't drive (see previous excuse above!!)

Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!