Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does a web design have a lifespan?

Default Does a web design have a lifespan?

Pretty much as the title says.

Does a website design ie: Template , colours layout etc have a limited life span?

With my sites it tends to be every couple of years I take a look at them see if they can be "tweeked" with current trending colours or latest add ons.

Currently I'm looking at a "tweek" of the Spirits High main site just to freshen it up a bit. No major colour changes but looking at a more modern look.

I know there's alot to be said for "if it's not broke , don't fix it" but the site is currently in Joomla 1.5 and needs to be upgraded to the latest 2.5 package so it might aswell have a little revamp too.

Your thoughts on website lifespans chaps?
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Funnily enough I've been thinking along the same lines.

I'm wondering if it's our own familiarity creeping in? For our clients it's going to be the first time they see it so will be fresh and new to them.

But if you feel it's gone a bit stale (or looks like everyone else's) there's no harm having a revamp - once you've got that idea in your head you won't be happy until you do it!

So sounds like the perfect time if you need to do the upgrade anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post

I'm wondering if it's our own familiarity creeping in? For our clients it's going to be the first time they see it so will be fresh and new to them.
    You've got a good point there

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    But if you feel it's gone a bit stale (or looks like everyone else's) there's no harm having a revamp - once you've got that idea in your head you won't be happy until you do it!

So sounds like the perfect time if you need to do the upgrade anyway.
    Well it needs to go to 2.5 so it might aswell have a little tweek at the same time....

Watch this space so to speak
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

I would say a definite yes. Some websites do look very dated & it's obvious they haven't changed in years.

How many DJs still have white on black sites from the 90s for example?
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirits High View Post

Does a website design ie: Template , colours layout etc have a limited life span?

With my sites it tends to be every couple of years I take a look at them see if they can be "tweeked" with current trending colours or latest add ons.

Currently I'm looking at a "tweek" of the Spirits High main site just to freshen it up a bit. No major colour changes but looking at a more modern look.

I know there's alot to be said for "if it's not broke , don't fix it" but the site is currently in Joomla 1.5 and needs to be upgraded to the latest 2.5 package so it might aswell have a little revamp too.

I'm in the same Dilemma my template is heavily customised in Joomla 1.5 and will not work in 2.5 so it's time to think fluid templates - templates that work across mobiles and tablets etc.

Just a thought.
    -------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------
    www.vip-disco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Spirits High View Post

The wording is probably more important than anything in my market place and whilst my personal site has had its critics ( I take no notice of course as I know more than them about my niche business) I have moved on to a more proactive approach using vid clips of events on the home page to improve the customers feel for what they are buying into because it reflects the fact that more and more people are asking for this--i.e. moving with the market trends.

I would think this very important---as long as your site doesnt say things which clearly show it has not been updated---like-- last updated 20/11/2005

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    I would say a definite yes. Some websites do look very dated & it's obvious they haven't changed in years.

How many DJs still have white on black sites from the 90s for example?
    mind you I did change the colour scheme this week
    Maidstone Based Professional Disco
    www.lasersounds.co.uk

To the original question yes website designs do have a lifespan.

I find that more minimalist style sites (white background) do have a longer life span.
    A lot of deigns now use rotating header or banner images and less are using harsh coloured backgrounds.

With people wanting to view sites on phones and ipads etc designs are also changing to make viewing on these devices easier and less clunky.

I use wordpress as my cms and a lot of people say that all wordpress sites look the same, and yes if you look at the free templates a lot do. on all my sites i build custom menus. An example is on www.dreamdancefloors.co.uk (there is info and images missing) but it makes it look different.

I change mine every year...although I won't do the next change until 2014 probably purely because I did two versions this year.
    just ian
    Wedding DJ - DISCOfever

I've barely changed a thing on mine since 2006.