Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Booth out

Default Booth out

I`m hoping someone can help here, I think I`m just being thick but hey ho.

Ok so I have active tops and when I use my subs (which are passive) I use an active crossover and amp (for the subs). Can I go from the Booth out (mc6000) into the amp to just run one sub under deckstand, If so how?

1. booth out to amp

2. amp to sub.

Yes you can.

regards,

Brian.

Thanks Brian, I have actually just set it all up but am getting the full feed highs and lows to the sub, Will the highs notice in the sub when the tops are going???

Your Subs shouldn't be playing the full range signal, just the lows. You will however be sending a full range signal to the tops, so unless they heave a feature on them to filter the lows off then you wont be running your system to the best of its capabilities as the tops are using up a lot of their power to produce bass that's not needed as your subs are making the bass. Either keep using your crossover or sell your passives and amp and pick up an active sub with built in crossovers.

The above is to the best of my knowledge. Hope that helps.

Regards.

Hi,do your subs have passive x overs built in normally around 120 hz to 150 hz if so you need to go into subs first then out to tops,but as you have not supplied details of the actives it is really hard to determine which is the best way to go,what you need to achieve is that the subs only receive low frequencies and actives only get mid/high frequencies lots of ways of doing this depending on what connections and facilities you have ,perhaps you could post further details .

Actives are JBL 315`s and the subs are Mcgregor pro15`s, According to the manual they have a passive 2 way x-over. The tops have jack or xlr input and output, the subs are speakon

I can turn the bass off of the actives.

I found this little snippet on the forums

"or the most simple option would be to run from your mixer to the active tops, then run an xlr from the output on each top back to the amp and connect the subs as normal"

Now this seems more do-able
    Last edited by hammy; 11-12-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    Actives are JBL 315`s and the subs are Mcgregor pro15`s, According to the manual they have a passive 2 way x-over. The tops have jack or xlr input and output, the subs are speakon

I can turn the bass off of the actives.

I found this little snippet on the forums

"or the most simple option would be to run from your mixer to the active tops, then run an xlr from the output on each top back to the amp and connect the subs as normal"

That will work,although you mention you have a electronic x over which will always give you better results than passive so you could take full signal master output of your Denon to the to the input of your electronic x over then bass out to your amp that powers the subs then out mid /top to your actives give it a try see which method you prefer and monitor preferred sound.The advantage of using the electronic x over is you will have control of the frequencies going to your speakers.
    Last edited by TONYTIGER; 11-12-2012 at 03:09 PM.

I use the active x-over when using both subs, I`m just trying to find an easier solution when only using one sub.

I`m hoping someone can help here, I think I`m just being thick but hey ho.

Ok so I have active tops and when I use my subs (which are passive) I use an active crossover and amp (for the subs). Can I go from the Booth out (mc6000) into the amp to just run one sub under deckstand, If so how?

1. booth out to amp

2. amp to sub.
    You can. It has possible problems, which you have spotted.

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    Hi,do your subs have passive x overs built in normally around 120 hz to 150 hz if so you need to go into subs first then out to tops, .
    No Tony, he can't do that with passive subs and active tops.

It's simple, but it's exactly the same as running a booth output to your sub(s) and amp. Exactly. This has the ( in some folks eyes ) drawback of running the tops full range, which gives oodles of bass, but as stated earlier, means you're making the tops work harder, whereas the normal idea is to have some big subs, and a whopping great amp driving them. The tops then just loaf about, doing the twiddly bits.

Right Hammy, my advice would ( as others have intimated, I think,) would be to keep the active crossover. Now the tricky bit. If your subs are 8ohms each, you may have an option which would allow you to run efficiently with one sub. May. It's not something I would normally advise, but you can bridge your amp, which is sort of like putting both your amps channels into one speaker.

But there's often a drawback. Lets's take my subs as an example, cos I know the figures. The subs I'm presently using are rated 350w per channel, and are 8ohms. My amp gives 500w per channel at 8ohms, so I find that an acceptable match.
    Now then, if I bridge the amp, into an 8ohm cab, I'll get around 1000watts. That would toast my sub driver, if run at those levels, so for me, it's two subs or none.
    What the figures for your amp and cabs are, I don't know. If your subs are 4ohms, it's a pretty safe bet that you can't safely bridge your amp into one of them .

And to answer post #8, easiest way to run active tops and one sub, is to have an active sub, with a crossover built in. I know you haven't got one, but it's the easiest, and arguably the best solution.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk