Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Equipment problems over the last week.

Wow, either I'm very lucky or you lot mis-handle your equipment (take that whichever way you want it lol)

I'll touch wood before I go on (need to stop these double thingy's...)

I have ONE laptop and ONE mixer as main playout and never had an issue (and I also occasionally run video with no issues, although to be fair I never use effects - don't see the need...)

I have a backup SD card reader but never had to use it yet as a backup (although I do use it on quiz nights for the music intro round).

I also have a spare laptop & external HDD but they have never made it out of the car yet!

I'm a big believer of 'if it 'aint broke, don't fix it' and 'if I don't NEED it, don't buy it'. After all, I'm running a business and I like it to be profitable.
    Yes I understand that people like new 'toys' or like to keep up with new technology etc. but as far as I'm concerned my sound is as good as I want it to be (and as an ex-musician I'm very particular about sound). My lighting could be better but I've never had any complaints yet and it also does the job it's supposed to do.

I also buy good quality equipment then treat it well and with over 10 years djing have yet to use backup.
    I have my main controller and my macbook pro set up. for back up I have an ipad and my iphone on me with some music if I need it.
    Used to carry a spare amp but now i have the qsc k12s which are powered I dont (the amp would stay in the van not set up). I of course have spare cables in my bag like xlr and power but have never set up a second mixer, laptop etc just in case.

The majority of clubs I work in have 2 cdjs, one mixer and then off to the amps. They dont have 2 set ups and their equipment gets abused!

It's generally the transportation and lugging the equipment around that causes problems, screws become loose, things vibrate in transit, constant rapid changing of tempratures taking gear in and out of the cold etc, static club gear may get abused but it's not constantly being moving around, so things likely to fail are potentiometers, sliders and buttons, the connections seldom get touched.

I was just pointed to this thread by someone, so apologies for bumping a relatively old thread.

I'm not aware of any issues with my ScrollText plugin for the PC (v1.5) which is the release most people are using.

The updated version that is also available, v2, does quite clearly state on the download page:

Please note that this is an early release and should be considered beta quality at this time.

If you have issues with v1.5 then you should report them so I can look into them!

One problem with laptops is the heat generated.
    This worst when the laptop is being worked hard.
    You can buy coolers that the laptop sits on.

On my home desktop pc recently it started resetting itself.
    Windows told me it was a power surge.
    As time went on it happened more often.
    As Windows said it was a power problem I bought a new well specced power supply.
    I opened up my pc to replace the power supply and the old power supply was so full of dust it was amazing it was running at all.
    The grill over the fan was 95% blocked.

I replaced the power supply anyway as it has served a few years and I haven't had a problem since.