Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you reply...?

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    By the way, I find V2 of Macarena a lot more shocking. [...] This has sexual innuendo written all over it! Ah, but it's got a dance that the teacher knows!! She's not down "wit the yoof" and is probably feeling her age!!
    If you think about the lyrics in most songs from the last 20yrs or so, there isn't much you can play if you're avoiding references or insinuations about sex, alcohol, drugs, gang culture and guns.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Honestly.....I'd very politely tell her to shove it. I stopped doing school discos a couple of years ago as simply not worth it.
    Jonathan Ford's Travelling Discotheque http://www.jftd.co.uk/
    Thoughtful mobile disco entertainment across the Midlands

I've had kids ask if I can play a track but make sure it's the one with swearing! Haha, obviously I didn't.
    Kids don't know what the songs mean... I felt really embarrassed when I realised some of my favorite tracks that I'd sing to my parents when I was a kid are very sexually orientated... explains why they'd always laugh so much!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

One of the last school discos I did earlier this year I played "Sexy and I Know It". Its a horrible feeling because if you play it then your on edge and may get a complaint (I did from one of the teachers) and because I can understand where they are coming from it makes it difficult when on the other hand you have tons of kids not only wanting it played, but played many times over.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

School discos are more trouble than they're worth. I pretty much keep the DJing job on the low down because as soon as people find out I do it they start asking me to play at school functions. They even offer to pay more than I would take for a private school function but it's a fate worse than death IMO because you tend to either please the kids or the powers that be, not both.

I suppose the woman is aware that she's probably being a prude if she added that she's maybe a bit too long in the tooth to be supervising discos (fwiw at high school discos teachers are too busy making sure none of them are drunk, doing unspeakable stuff in nooks and crannies then listening to the lyrical content of the songs...)

One way to look at it, if it's a song you would play at a wedding (where there's bound to be younger guests) or a christening / birthday party, why is it an issue at a school disco? S&M or anything with profanity in it might be a bit OTT but an LMFAO song and Gangnam Style?

Schools and teachers have a duty of care but it stops way short of coddling the kids from the stuff they're already more than aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    One way to look at it, if it's a song you would play at a wedding (where there's bound to be younger guests) or a christening / birthday party, why is it an issue at a school disco? S&M or anything with profanity in it might be a bit OTT but an LMFAO song and Gangnam Style?
    I personally think if it's on the radio which I know I used to listen to when I was a kid then it shouldn't be an issue. Although I think the edited version of starships doesn't really help -

flying high like a mother *wizz sound* ucker I personally think isn't enough! The kids all sound like they are swearing when they sing along.. maybe they are!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

You invited feedback and got it. Don't get into a discussion over it with her, just take her comments on board or not. It's up to you. Either just thank her for providing feedback or don't reply at all. Honestly, you don't heed to defend yourself. You did your job. If she wants you back again I should think twice because it's going to be very difficult to avoid what she obviously finds offensive yet give the kids what they want. If she does ask you back, that would be the time to discuss music with her. If she continues to be awkward then I would turn away the booking because it ain't gonna work and that does nothing for your reputation!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    If you think about the lyrics in most songs from the last 20yrs or so, there isn't much you can play if you're avoiding references or insinuations about sex, alcohol, drugs, gang culture and guns.

Julian
    And before that even ..... listening the the 'non-stop oldies' on Radio 2 yesterday was the distinct lyric "Making love in the green grass. Behind the stadium with you" .

Van Morrison and his 'Brown-eyed girl" have a lot to answer for ?
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    And before that even ..... listening the the 'non-stop oldies' on Radio 2 yesterday was the distinct lyric "Making love in the green grass. Behind the stadium with you" .

Van Morrison and his 'Brown-eyed girl" have a lot to answer for ?
    It's a valid point actually.

What's worse: singing about the actual act of having sex like our gravelly voiced Irish songsmith, or singing about being attractive to the opposite sex which is what Sexy and I Know It is all about....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    It's a valid point actually.

What's worse: singing about the actual act of having sex like our gravelly voiced Irish songsmith, or singing about being attractive to the opposite sex which is what Sexy and I Know It is all about....
    I think it depends exactly how you refer to each thing And if you happen to be dressed in Shiny gold pants at the time (LMFAO that is, not me )

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography