Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: What headset microphone?

Default What headset microphone?

I've had a quick search and I don't think this topic has been covered off before...

I've recently bought an AKG beltpack microphone system and the headset microphone it comes with is ok but (compared to the AKG handheld microphone) it doesn't have much depth and suffers badly from feedback in a lot of situations so I struggled last night to get the volume and presence I really wanted for the school disco I did. A lot of playing with EQ improved the situation, but I'd still prefer a better Mic - and also ideally something a little more discrete (lightweight and possibly in beige).

From other peoples experience - do Headset Mic's generally not have the same presence as handhelds (I expect the size/form of the capsule might have something to do with this) and do they generally suffer from feedback issues more (as they tend to be omnidirectional rather than having a cardoid pickup pattern?)

I've been looking at a few alternative headsets, specifically the Proel HCM-08, an Audio Technica and a few others from less distinguished brands! Does anyone have any recommendations? Budget is £100 or less.

Thanks in advance,

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I've had a quick search and I don't think this topic has been covered off before...

I've recently bought an AKG beltpack microphone system and the headset microphone it comes with is ok but (compared to the AKG handheld microphone) it doesn't have much depth and suffers badly from feedback in a lot of situations so I struggled last night to get the volume and presence I really wanted for the school disco I did. A lot of playing with EQ improved the situation, but I'd still prefer a better Mic - and also ideally something a little more discrete (lightweight and possibly in beige).

From other peoples experience - do Headset Mic's generally not have the same presence as handhelds (I expect the size/form of the capsule might have something to do with this) and do they generally suffer from feedback issues more (as they tend to be omnidirectional rather than having a cardoid pickup pattern?)

I've been looking at a few alternative headsets, specifically the Proel HCM-08, an Audio Technica and a few others from less distinguished brands! Does anyone have any recommendations? Budget is £100 or less.

Thanks in advance,

Julian
    This has been exactly my experience of cheaper headsets--not anywhere as good as handheld.

Weak sound, lacking top and bottom, feeding back etc.

If you want to throw a LOT of money at the problem im sure you can get a result eventually--

£100 --not sure thats enough.

I tried a Sennheiser Head set supplied by Paul from Paul James which sounded better than average but actually used my own JTS hand held in the end.

But that was through his brilliant sound system

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    If you want to throw a LOT of money at the problem im sure you can get a result eventually--

£100 --not sure thats enough.
    I have a suspicion that I'd have to throw at least £250 at it to get close to a decent sounding solution.

Sennheiser appear to do the HS2, HSP2 and HSP4 models, price at around £315, £370 and £390 respectively. Any idea if the one you used was any of these?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I have a suspicion that I'd have to throw at least £250 at it to get close to a decent sounding solution.

Sennheiser appear to do the HS2, HSP2 and HSP4 models, price at around £315, £370 and £390 respectively. Any idea if the one you used was any of these?

Julian
    Its whatever Paul has as standard-maybe PM his son Jamie at Paul James Promotions who will know---unless hes looking in here and can post

I think I also used a Senny Headset on a gig with with Clive at CRS1 that sounded not too bad, he had a Bose System at the time.