Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Tapco Active Thumper 15 stops working at gig ?

Default Tapco Active Thumper 15 stops working at gig ?

one of my Tapco Active thumper 15's stopped working at booking tonight, luckily it was 4 songs from the end and managed to cope. but wondering if anyone can help me disgnose the issue.

it was working fine, for most of the night, then i noticed things got a bit quieter and a could see the power light flashing on one of me tapco's. I checked but no sound either

changed mains leads, checked fuse under mains socket but no change.

Wasnt pushing them as in a small venue - main mixer channel on 4 - sliders for cd chanels on 7 & gain at 10 oclock.

Is there an internal fuse ?

Any ideas please

Many thanks in advance
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    one of my Tapco Active thumper 15's stopped working at booking tonight, luckily it was 4 songs from the end and managed to cope. but wondering if anyone can help me disgnose the issue.

it was working fine, for most of the night, then i noticed things got a bit quieter and a could see the power light flashing on one of me tapco's. I checked but no sound either

changed mains leads, checked fuse under mains socket but no change.

Wasnt pushing them as in a small venue - main mixer channel on 4 - sliders for cd chanels on 7 & gain at 10 oclock.

Is there an internal fuse ?

Any ideas please

Many thanks in advance
    Not familiar with the actual speaker but a flashing power light would seem to indicate either a failing power supply or most likely some form of protection mode, possibly thermal protection. Have you tried it today ? Did it feel hot to the touch eg hotter than normal ?

Quote Originally Posted by katman View Post
    Not familiar with the actual speaker but a flashing power light would seem to indicate either a failing power supply or most likely some form of protection mode, possibly thermal protection. Have you tried it today ? Did it feel hot to the touch eg hotter than normal ?
    Katman - thinks there rebadged mackies but not sure of this.

no not tried it today, will nip in the room tomorrow and try it then, if not i have me UL15's and digi amp - but they really over the top for the venue im next in.

no didnt feel hot at all - about same temp as the other one.

I used to have these speakers and they clip very easily.
    Probably an overload protective shutdown.

Bet they work again if you re test them. if not check fuse and wiring.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I used to have these speakers and they clip very easily.
    Probably an overload protective shutdown.

Bet they work again if you re test them. if not check fuse and wiring.
    am aware of the clipping issue so always keep an eye on the clip lights. but as i said above running well below that sort of level - song at time wasnt a loud pressing (the byrds - tambourine man)

as stated in orig thread - tried fuse & diff mains cable

will test tomorrow as family away for the day

well tested just now - power light still flashing and can here a clicking sound typical and disco shop not open till new year ah well time to get out the ul15s and digi amp later on and give them a good testing as not used them since july ( due to either using the smaller rig or working were pa is provided)

Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    well tested just now - power light still flashing and can here a clicking sound typical and disco shop not open till new year ah well time to get out the ul15s and digi amp later on and give them a good testing as not used them since july ( due to either using the smaller rig or working were pa is provided)
    The protection circuitry has kicked in, 100% definite. This isn't a simple 'change the fuse' fix unfortunately. IIRC the electronics in these aren't what can be described as the best, and the build quality of the PCBs isn't fantastic either - I've seen connections shake loose for instance.
    Are they still under guarantee?

Quote Originally Posted by djeddie View Post
    The protection circuitry has kicked in, 100% definite. This isn't a simple 'change the fuse' fix unfortunately. IIRC the electronics in these aren't what can be described as the best, and the build quality of the PCBs isn't fantastic either - I've seen connections shake loose for instance.
    Are they still under guarantee?

No brought them of here few years back - not complaing as they have been worked hard by me as pa for disco and monitors for me big pa