Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Intel WiDi Video Screencast technology

Exclamation Intel WiDi Video Screencast technology

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone uses Intel Widi Video technology to screencast from their laptop to a WiDi receiver.

I sometimes VJ at a venue and have been using a temporary long run of RCA cable to connect my laptop to their video distribution system which is not ideal as I have to
    reel out the cable each and every time I play there and it's a nightmare to thread the cable back to the playout system.

Ideally it would be better to have a simple plug and play solution.

I was wondering what are the limitiations on the system, such as walls, signal quality, reliability etc and what, if any, would be your recommended WiDi receiver?

Thank you in advance.
    -------------------------------------------------------

www.vip-disco.co.uk

well I am happy to report I tested the belkin sucessfully at home:

I upgraded the firmware as prompted as this adds supports for more media formats.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/belkin...69065-pdt.html

The range is very good at 20m and the quality of the picture is very good and works seemlessly with Virtual DJ.

I had to alter the video/audio sync delay (new feature in VDJ) as there was a small lag of about -10 milliseconds - which is just noticable but was soon "fixed".

All I need to do is test it at the venue tonight, but my first impressions are very good.

PC world have these on offer at the moment @ £49.97 instead of the usual £89.99 - a bargain in my opinion.

www.vip-disco.co.uk

So what do you need to get this working ?

Just wireless on your laptop ?? And does it just share the screen your using or can it be like a extended desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Dave View Post
    So what do you need to get this working ?

Just wireless on your laptop ?? And does it just share the screen your using or can it be like a extended desktop
    Hi Dave,

you need an Intel wi-di enabled laptop and a wi-di receiver.

more info here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6312/i...-new-receivers

I'm happy to report that it works very well - I purchased a Belkin Screencast Receiver - Model No. F7D45601

there are others:

D-Link DHD-131* TV Adapter

NETGEAR Push2TV* HD Adapter

The venue I have used it in has very thick walls (over 2ft thick) and the video distrubution system is down in the cellar. I am getting signal strengths of 4 out of 5 bars!

All I had to do in virtual DJ is adjust the Video delay in the Confguration settings to -25 so that the video was in perfect lip sync.

It behaves exactly like a second screen whereby you can duplicate your screen or have it as an extended desktop.

I am very impressed with it - no drop out, no crackles hisses or pops - an NO cables!!!!
    Last edited by welby; 06-02-2013 at 05:48 PM.

www.vip-disco.co.uk