Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Licences etc HELP?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Entertainment View Post
    How have you sourced your music?
    If its ripped from a CD collection, they yes, Produb is required.
    If you've downloaded all your MP3's from an online store (Amazon, etc) directly to the machine you're using to DJ with, then Produb is not required.
    And also if you burn legitimate downloads onto Audio CD/DVD which you then play in public ?
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    And also if you burn legitimate downloads onto Audio CD/DVD which you then play in public ?
    Yep....

Or Vinyl to 2, CD to 8Track etc etc

Heres the best bit about ProDub...the Tidy Boys (people at the for front of hard dance, managers of Tidy Trax, and one of them is the son of the guy who owns Music Factory)....knew nothing about the licence!!!! Go after the little people because its easier to get us
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Go after the little people because its easier to get us
    There's nothing little about those who pay more UK Tax than Amazon, Google and Starbucks combined ?
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    There's nothing little about those who pay more UK Tax than Amazon, Google and Starbucks combined ?
    It says something though when the people who run/ran the founding label of an entire genre dont know about ProRob though....
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

It says something though when the people who run/ran the founding label of an entire genre dont know about ProRob though....
    It does - about them!

But realistically, if i'm doing this as a non proffessional, non profit setup PURELY playing at PRIVATE parties, will I ever be asked for this??

I cant afford to fork out a couple of hundred quid just in case a produb inspector shows up at one of the 3 or so parties I do in a year????

I could understand if I was a professional DJ advertising for work or a resident DJ in a club or something. Surely what I'm doing is just the same as someone taking theyre Ipod to a party in a hired hall and sticking it through some speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by jaylaw View Post
    But realistically, if i'm doing this as a non professional, non profit setup PURELY playing at PRIVATE parties, will I ever be asked for this??
    No, and you won't need it either, as many of us have said previously in this thread. However:

Quote Originally Posted by jaylaw View Post
    I could understand if I was a professional DJ advertising for work or a resident DJ in a club or something. Surely what I'm doing is just the same as someone taking their Ipod to a party in a hired hall and sticking it through some speakers?
    The onus will be on you to prove that you're not doing it for hire or reward.

This whole area is greyer than a battleship full of elephants on a foggy day. It has been known for two people to ask the same question, and receive differing answers from the same organisation.

My advice? Buy PLI. As pointed out here, it can be obtained for as little as thirty quid, and it is vital to have. ( But again, as I said before, not a legal requirement. more anomalies. ) Get your kit PAT tested. Ask around, there'll be someone local who is recommended. Don't pay over the odds for it, the charges vary greatly. Without a PAT cert, your PLI may be invalidated in the event of a claim. Again, may. For what it will cost you, it's a no brainer. If you've got say twenty mains cables and bits of kit, it shouldn't cost a lot. Good luck.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Yep....

Or Vinyl to 2, CD to 8Track etc etc

Heres the best bit about ProDub...the Tidy Boys (people at the for front of hard dance, managers of Tidy Trax, and one of them is the son of the guy who owns Music Factory)....knew nothing about the licence!!!! Go after the little people because its easier to get us
    Funny you should state that. This is the very reason I decided to avoid ProDub completely and rebuild my DJing music library using legal downloads direct to my gigging hard-drive. It was actually to do with the karaoke "uplift" bit. I wrote to the major karaoke disc manufacturers and all but one said that, as far as they were concerned, they allowed MP3+G rips as they had already paid the fees to licence the tracks in the first place and it was up to the customer what they did with the discs. These included Sunfly who seemed totally oblivious to the existence of ProDub despite it being something that would ultimately have an effect on their business. The one manufacturer who provided a different stance told me that "it might be" in my "best interest to obtain the licence just to cover" myself. Hardly a ringing endorsement for ProDub. I tried to query this directly with ProDub and, a few years on, have still not had a response. I think this speaks volumes. But, we've done all this before so I'll leave it there.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Starting to veer off topic now - the scenario's where ProDub is required have been stated which is all that's asked for on this thread.

Plenty of other threads to resurrect if anybody feels the need to go over the rights and wrongs of the licence.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    This is the very reason I decided to avoid ProDub completely and rebuild my DJing music library using legal downloads direct to my gigging hard-drive.
    Apologies for one last Pro-dub related question but....

given the general confusion surrounding produb, how do you get on when you turn up at a venue that is aware of produb and insists on seeing a valid licence before they will allow you to perform. How do you convince them that you are exempt from needing one ? and moreover, is this covered in your contracts in the event that you cant do a gig because the venue wont let you through the door ?