Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: 2 PA's, 2 Rooms.

Default 2 PA's, 2 Rooms.

Morning!

Im looking at solutions to a logistical issue I have for an upcoming wedding. I'm running an all day package and the customer has asked for 2 seperate PA's, one in the ceremony area, one in the reception room (the main rig). I have the option of running two seperate playouts, or 1 playout, handling both (with the ceremony PA wirelessly streamed to)

I have some ideas about how to do this, including investing in a set of wireless actives, to add to my current passive set up. I also got to see Corabar Steve run a variation on this at Xmas, using a wireless reciever plugged into an active speaker, streaming audio from his playout, but I'd need a refresher of how to make that happen.

I'd be interested to hear how you could approach this and if you have any suggestions for a suitable solution. I'm in need of a second PA in any case, for back up/smaller functions so am looking for that to be my main investment in 2013, but would like the most cost effective way of doing this professionally.

Is the ceremony area PA just to be used for the ceremony music or for speech as well? Will it also be used throughout the day and evening?

For the simplest ceremony music jobs I've just taken one or two speakers in and an SD card player (or whatever you have), discreetly set-up (usually at the back) and pressed play at the right times. Then taken the speakers with me when I go back to the main room, no need to have a PA in there all day.

If it's needed for speech as well then obviously it gets a bit more complicated as you have to mic everybody up - not something I've done, but I'm sure others have and can give advice.

If it's being used as a separate function room throughout the day (as a chill-out room for example) I'd look at having a pre-recorded set of suitable music on a separate player rather than trying to stream anything. The battery powered QTX speakers (QR12PA) are great for this as they're so easy to place anywhere and have a built in SD player.

Steve and Angela use the LDWats2 system, as do I.

All you really need is a booth output on your mixer and a separate active speaker. You go from the booth output to your transmitter and the set the receiver up on your active speaker. You can of course do the same thing using an amp and passive cab, but buying an active speaker is the simplest solution IMO.

As I use a Denon MC6000, I have a separate booth output which is controllable in terms of gain, eq and whether or not the mic goes through it. I could also have a separate source playing through the booth so that I could have chill out music playing in one room and something else in the main room.

If all of this confuses you, you are welcome to pop over and I can show you the options and how it works.

Is the ceremony area PA just to be used for the ceremony music or for speech as well? Will it also be used throughout the day and evening?

For the simplest ceremony music jobs I've just taken one or two speakers in and an SD card player (or whatever you have), discreetly set-up (usually at the back) and pressed play at the right times. Then taken the speakers with me when I go back to the main room, no need to have a PA in there all day.

If it's needed for speech as well then obviously it gets a bit more complicated as you have to mic everybody up - not something I've done, but I'm sure others have and can give advice.

If it's being used as a separate function room throughout the day (as a chill-out room for example) I'd look at having a pre-recorded set of suitable music on a separate player rather than trying to stream anything. The battery powered QTX speakers (QR12PA) are great for this as they're so easy to place anywhere and have a built in SD player.
    Thanks Funkymook. I've got a meet with them in a few weeks, so wanted to have a few options available, but I do need to clarify some of the stuff you've mentioned. From the first meet, I gathered it was ceremony only, which opens up a few different options (and something to think about it terms of leaving kit in a room I'm not it!)

Steve and Angela use the LDWats2 system, as do I.

All you really need is a booth output on your mixer and a separate active speaker. You go from the booth output to your transmitter and the set the receiver up on your active speaker. You can of course do the same thing using an amp and passive cab, but buying an active speaker is the simplest solution IMO.

As I use a Denon MC6000, I have a separate booth output which is controllable in terms of gain, eq and whether or not the mic goes through it. I could also have a separate source playing through the booth so that I could have chill out music playing in one room and something else in the main room.

If all of this confuses you, you are welcome to pop over and I can show you the options and how it works.
    Most Kind Darren, thanks for that. I must say I think I prefer this solution as it allows me to buy better backup Actives (the only wireless I've seen are the Alto range). I'm currently using the Mackie Pro FX8, so will check it out this evening to see if it does (I'm 99% sure it does, at least, have a monitor output, which would work similarly, no?)

Would I be able to use just the transmitter/reciever with any set of actives, or is it LD specific?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    Most Kind Darren, thanks for that. I must say I think I prefer this solution as it allows me to buy better backup Actives (the only wireless I've seen are the Alto range). I'm currently using the Mackie Pro FX8, so will check it out this evening to see if it does (I'm 99% sure it does, at least, have a monitor output, which would work similarly, no?)

Would I be able to use just the transmitter/reciever with any set of actives, or is it LD specific?
    If you are using the LDWats2, you only need to buy active speakers, not wireless ones. I use one or two EVSXA100s for this and I know there are a pair for sale on here too at a bargain price (tempted myself). Monitor or booth output should be fine. The Wats2 works with any set of active speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    If you are using the LDWats2, you only need to buy active speakers, not wireless ones. I use one or two EVSXA100s for this and I know there are a pair for sale on here too at a bargain price (tempted myself). Monitor or booth output should be fine. The Wats2 works with any set of active speakers.
    Yes, sorry, my previous post was worded badly, that's what I meant, with this system, I could get any actives, not just the Wireless Altos.

Awesome, thanks for the help with this

If you need seperate PA systems in seperate rooms, I would suggest using 2 PA systems and 2 playouts instead of one playout linked to a second set of speakers wirelessly.

If activity is taking place in the second room how can you control the sound ??

Playout for ceremony music can be very simple - I have used a couple of active speakers and an Ipad, and this year will be using a Lucas Nano with Ipad.

Or have I read this completely wrong
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    If you need seperate PA systems in seperate rooms, I would suggest using 2 PA systems and 2 playouts instead of one playout linked to a second set of speakers wirelessly.

If activity is taking place in the second room how can you control the sound ??

Playout for ceremony music can be very simple - I have used a couple of active speakers and an Ipad, and this year will be using a Lucas Nano with Ipad.

Or have I read this completely wrong
    Nope exactly right . I think, as Funkymook suggested, I need to establish whether the second room is purely for Ceremony or Ceremony/Second room for the whole day.

And though I'm sure you don't need to be told this - don't get carried away with what you say you can do when discussing it with your client, find out exactly what they want but don't offer ideas or solutions there and then (especially if you don't actually own the equipment to do it yet).

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    And though I'm sure you don't need to be told this - don't get carried away with what you say you can do when discussing it with your client, find out exactly what they want but don't offer ideas or solutions there and then (especially if you don't actually own the equipment to do it yet).
    Heavens forbid

In all seriousness, I have offered the wrap around all day package for this one, with the initial idea of hiring what I needed, but as things have gone fairly well lately, and I've been on and off about PA stuff for a few years now, I figured I'd look at more permanent solutions to this particular problem