Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCF 705AS and 312 setup

Default RCF 705AS and 312 setup

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question and to see if anyone else has experienced similar:
    I fairly recently bought the above setup (1 sub and 2 tops). Since new I have had an issue with the sub volume, I have the gain at the 8oclock marking the sub and the 12oclock mark on the tops, at these levels the volume is ok but if I turn the sub level any higher the bass is far too much and sometimes clips.
    My first thought was there was a fault with the sub so I took it back and they linked it up in store but it all worked fine with the sub level at 12oclock.
    I'm now thinking it could be a level issue with the mixer. On the back if the mixer is a master gain which I can adjust but if I turn that down the level on both the sub and tops is reduced therefore to get the levels right I would need the sub at 12oclock and the tops at full.

For info I connect L/R Xlrs from the mixer to the sub, then xlrs out to each top. All the xlr cables are new and I have tried using older cables in case they were the issue. Also the eq pots are all run flat an the mixer lever is nowhere near clipping.

Any help or advise is appreciated.

Lee

I have the same problem.

I use a Denon DN-X900 mixer and have the switch on the back set to -10dB. I also run the mixer at 0dB and adjust the speakers to suit the room.
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs

It's not actually a clip light on the 705 - it's telling you the limiter is kicking in. RCF advise it's OK if it flashes on and off with the beat (so it's just limiting the highest peaks), but obviously it shouldn't be lit all the time. My 702's only start to sound decent when the limiter is flashing (they need a bit of welly to perk them up), and I've been told this is OK.

Never seen my 310's limit even when I'm using a 905. The 310's are set at 12 and the 905 between 9 and 12 depending on what's required, it shouldn't be much different with your 312's.

What play-out and mixer are you using, what type of music do you play, what size room/audience are you playing to and what cross-over point are you setting on the 705?

I suspect a tweaking of the signal chain before it reaches the speakers may help - I know getting that right with mine makes a massive difference.

Also, where are you listening to this.

I run the same set-up and find that it sounds bassy as hell behind the sub, but great on the dancefloor.
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Thanks for all your replies, in answer to some of your questions;
    The mixer is a Citronic SM-FX500 linked to twin CD players and a laptop.
    I've listened both behind the sub and on the dance floor - I did think this at first as I was not used to using a sub before this setup. Bit after listening to it through the shops mixer there is definitely a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Djanddisco View Post
    after listening to it through the shops mixer there is definitely a difference.
    Just to clarify - a difference due to another mixer being used in the shop? What sort of difference?

(I've always found it best to take all your own gear in when checking these things - far easier to swap things around to identify issues).

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Just to clarify - a difference due to another mixer being used in the shop? What sort of difference?

(I've always found it best to take all your own gear in when checking these things - far easier to swap things around to identify issues).
    Just a difference in levels, the sub an tops were both set to 12oclock and it sounded fine.

As I said before - it's OK to see the limit light come on in time to the beat (as long as it's not lit all the time), so perhaps you're being a bit too cautious with the sub because you thought it was a clip light?

In your first post you say the bass is far too much and sometimes 'clips' when you turn it up to 12oclock - if there's too much bass and the light is only sometimes coming on then it appears to be doing what it should (giving you more than enough bass with only occasionally setting the limit light off).

I have the same set up,you have to adjust the base accordingly to the tops.Ie the tops are rated at 400w?.The base is rated at 800w?,so always remember you will not need as much base volume,the crossovers sorts out the tops\mid freq according to the base.
    I set mine up withy the xlr from my mixer going into the 705 subs then xlr outs to the 312s input.

Hope this helps

Unfortunately the light doesn't flash to the beat it just comes on constantly and I'm talking when the gain is not even at 10oclock never mind 12.
    Soundmaster that's the exact way I set mine up too.