Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCF 705AS and 312 setup

Quote Originally Posted by Djanddisco View Post
    Unfortunately the light doesn't flash to the beat it just comes on constantly and I'm talking when the gain is not even at 10oclock never mind 12.
    Soundmaster that's the exact way I set mine up too.
    In that case it sounds like the signal from your mixer is too hot (especially if the shop tested it with their own gear and it was OK). Can you get hold of another one to test this out?

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    In that case it sounds like the signal from your mixer is too hot (especially if the shop tested it with their own gear and it was OK). Can you get hold of another one to test this out?
    Yea I should be able to. It's not the end of the world it all works fine just one of them annoying little things.

Yea I should be able to. It's not the end of the world it all works fine just one of them annoying little things.
    You need to get to the bottom of it though, you definitely shouldn't be seeing the limit light on all the time, that won't do it any good long term. Of course the other explanation is you're trying to get more out of it than it can give, perhaps it's time for a second bass bin?

You need to get to the bottom of it though, you definitely shouldn't be seeing the limit light on all the time, that won't do it any good long term. Of course the other explanation is you're trying to get more out of it than it can give, perhaps it's time for a second bass bin?
    If memory serves correctly, I think two 705/312 is John's rig. Let's just say that that he has an abundance of bass. Plenty. Loads. Lots. Oodles. Some might say an excess. I'd be really surprised if one wasn't sufficient for most purposes.

Here are some old threads which may ( or may not ) help.

Martin, in the first post, Lee says that if he turns the bass past eight o'clock, as well as clipping, he gets too much bass, so I'm not sure that he's got a shortage.

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...t=SIGNAL+CHAIN

And here's one which may be well worth reading. One of these days, I've got to have a go at setting up in this way. Gain structure.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

A couple more thoughts occur. First up, I meant to remark on this, and forgot to.

I agree completely with that, and it may simply be that the shop had set their mixers output lower. ( Funnily enough, I found recently that my mixer was turned a long way down at the back, and turning that up has given me more headroom, because I'm not running the front end anywhere near as hard to get the required output. ) It's all a question of balancing the signal all the way through the chain, so that each part of the system shares the work.

Secondly, in the exchange between Scott and Darren, it appears ( to me who doesn't personally use either, so can't be regarded as the definitive authority on this ) that the two different models, ART and AS may use the lights differently. May.

If it were me, I'd not be too concerned as to where the dials are set to on each box. These aren't the Mackies where it was quite rightly forbidden to turn the dial past twelve o'clock when using a mixer signal ( rather than a microphone, which is what the extra gain was for. An awful system. Compare it to the back of a QSC K12 which is basically a complete mixer. Brilliant. ) If the dials are set to max on the tops when you lower the mixer output , then simply adjust the sub to the required level to match them. As long as the volums is adequate for the job in hand ( And I'd be confident of having ample volume for most jobs with that rig ) and red lights anywhere in the system do no more than flicker occasionally, you're home and dry. To an enormous extent, it's a suck it and see process. Good luck, let us know how you get on, and don't be afraid to ask for more advice.

Once again thank you all for your replies!
    My cousins bringing his mixer down tomorrow so going to give that a try but now my thoughts are that the issue is with the mixers main gain (on the rear) sorry not sure of its correct name. I'm sure it's probably different on each mixer but where about should this be set to or is it a case of try it and see?

I've just had a read through the previous threads pasted by Excalibur so it's good to see its no just me having this problem, I did open up the last link but after a hard days work it looks a bit intense to be reading so think ill leave that for tomorrow.

Thanks again

but now my thoughts are that the issue is with the mixers main gain (on the rear)
    Seems logical to me.

I'm sure it's probably different on each mixer but where about should this be set to or is it a case of try it and see?
    It's the tried and tested method of "suck it and see" I'm afraid. Try not to alter too many things at once, so you don't get mixed up.

As to the article, just google "gain structure". I'm sure there are better/easier ones, it's just the first one I found. Basically, you're trying to set the levels so that everything would go red at the same time if you pushed it that far.

Angry

Still not getting any further with this, I have noticed a boost button on the tops though, has anyone else got the Mk3 312's and do they use the boost?
    I'm not talking about the mic boost button either that's seperate.