Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No surprises when you book a dj based on price

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Possibly yes. I may be contradicting myself and not appreciating exactly what goes in to things like Cakes, Chair Covers etc.
    That's probably the thing (and another thread?). Maybe some of the public have this perception that what we do is easy and therefore not as important as making a cake?
    I didn't think of it like that.
    You're spot on.

A 7-12 gig can often end up at close to 12 hours work on the day never mind any planning in advance but people only see 5 hours of you doing your thing. That's before you start taking things like the cost of gear etc... into the equation.

Jim - Your comments regarding the bus hire reminded me of something.
    Years ago when I was working for someone else, I was at a function DJing and another guy came up to me who said he was a DJ too (the usual scenario). He was a local DJ and in competition with the guy I was working for.
    I remember him saying that when it came to Wedding Discos he would double his usual price simply because it was a Wedding. I thought that was wrong back then and I still think it's wrong now.

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    I agree with all the above posts but how do you solve this age old problem ,answers on a postcard please
    I have this on my site that addresses the difference between myself and other suppliers without slagging anyone off.
    Useful when people start haggling.

http://www.yourdj.co.uk/mobile-dj-advice.html
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I have this on my site that addresses the difference between myself and other suppliers without slagging anyone off.
    Useful when people start haggling.

http://www.yourdj.co.uk/mobile-dj-advice.html
    You may like to review that page Toby.....

* We reserve the right to ammend any advertised or verbally quoted prices & promotions without prior notice.

Years ago when I was working for someone else, I was at a function DJing and another guy came up to me who said he was a DJ too (the usual scenario). He was a local DJ and in competition with the guy I was working for.
    I remember him saying that when it came to Wedding Discos he would double his usual price simply because it was a Wedding. I thought that was wrong back then and I still think it's wrong now.
    Yeah that's an appalling way to deal with weddings.

My prices for weddings are higher because a lot more planning and work goes into them than a party gig I can pretty much book and sort out on the night.

Unfortunately the wedding industry (and dare I say brides....) being the way they are, if suppliers can up their price just because it's a wedding and couples are willing to pay it, then thats the way the market will work out.

I'm not a huge fan of rabid consumption at the best of times but some of the stuff I hear being banded about so that couple X's wedding is more special than couple Y's wedding is ridiculous. To me I remember: The venue, the food (not even the cake) and the entertainment. That's it, if you're going to go mad and spend £500 on chair covers and sashes knock yourself out but I won't notice it and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by katman View Post
    You may like to review that page Toby.....

* We reserve the right to ammend any advertised or verbally quoted prices & promotions without prior notice.
    I will amend it now

Let me know if you spot anymore. I need the whole site proof read really as I often use cyberduck and make updates.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

~I've just come across this, and thought it fit in perfectly with this thread:-

http://www.ukweddingbelles.com/weddi...ing-costs-2013

Some interesting information there!

I Agree. My rate is the same regardless of what type of event it is. I do offer extra services for weddings which are optional and are a way to upsell. But the basic rate for the evening disco remains the same.

I'm the same.
    I put as much effort into a Wedding booking as I do any other. Wedding bookings can be enhanced by additional services and that's when they may become more lucrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    ~I've just come across this, and thought it fit in perfectly with this thread:-

http://www.ukweddingbelles.com/weddi...ing-costs-2013

Some interesting information there!
    When I clicked the link I came across this. Problem my end or in your link, Angela? IE9 here.

Quote Originally Posted by leelive View Post
    This one was because of cost. I had quoted £280 as it was for a Thursday night with a small system for just 60 guests.
    Which is more than my price for a Saturday, with early setup, and large rig. I have a mobile and an answerphone, I email my documents to venues on request, and last time I checked, I was experienced. Would I qualify as a surprise?

( I know I would if the client was expecting a fit young thirty something, who mixed every track, and never used the microphone )
    Last edited by Excalibur; 20-01-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Merged posts
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk