Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subwoofers? Small speakers? and DLM!

Default Subwoofers? Small speakers? and DLM!

Probably the most asked question on here - What subwoofer should I get??? along with something a bit less over asked to keep everyone interested

So currently I've got ...
    2x Mackie SRM450's V1 - (happy for now with these)
    2x QTX 15" subs - (thinking of keeping one for small functions ... maybe get rid of both) 300w RMS
    1x Mackie SRM1801 - (is big, oddly shaped and doesn't seem to be all that loud - I'm thinking to replace) 500w RMS

I've used all 3 subs together for a party of 250 people and they sound OK but they didn't sound "good" and I'm thinking one decent sub would sound just as good as all 3?

Been looking at the RCF 705as as many people seem to have them and have good things to say about them, I would like to know if the RCF's are much louder / if my theory that one RCF would be as loud as all 3 subs makes sense?

////////

Secondly, and I'm not all that bothered about this one - can anybody suggest a small fairly inexpensive speaker that one might use for speeches and background music only?

////////

Thirdly, not that I'm interested in buying these as they cost far too much for a cheapstake like me but has anyone else seen the mackie DLM's? 1000w RMS 12" speaker which is half the size of an SRM450 with built in mixer... I would like to hear what they sound like

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Try the new Yamaha/NEXO subs. They do them in 12", 15" & 18" sizes. All capable of 131dB SPL.

Quote Originally Posted by DJIanScott View Post
    Try the new Yamaha/NEXO subs. They do them in 12", 15" & 18" sizes. All capable of 131dB SPL.
    Just looked at a couple of nexo subs and they seem a bit pricey if i'm looking at the right ones. If I'm going to spend near £800 on a sub I might as well go for something like the FBT Promaxx 15SA seems like a no brainer for that sort of money but as it happens I'd like to stick around £400ish

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Just looked at a couple of nexo subs and they seem a bit pricey if i'm looking at the right ones. If I'm going to spend near £800 on a sub I might as well go for something like the FBT Promaxx 15SA seems like a no brainer for that sort of money but as it happens I'd like to stick around £400ish
    How are you going to get any RCF sub for £400? The 705's have an RRP of £1200 each (though you seem to be able to pick them up for around £800 at the moment?)

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    How are you going to get any RCF sub for £400? The 705's have an RRP of £1200 each (though you seem to be able to pick them up for around £800 at the moment?)

Julian
    With patience, I may not be able to but I'm almost 90% sure I can get one for £400 or less, used of course. I have a way with buying and selling ...

Bought a van for £3100.
    3 years later sold for £2900 (which was cheap to be honest).
    Bought another van 7 years younger and 80'000 less miles for £2900.

Almost everything I buy is a bargain.

If you get a chance to get an RCF905 for a good price I'd go for that (it's what I use, and I use to have a pair of the old model 705's).

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    If you get a chance to get an RCF905 for a good price I'd go for that (it's what I use, and I use to have a pair of the old model 705's).
    I was going to say that - if you're going to go for RCF, it's the 905 you'll want.

Sounds like you're very lucky

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    It would be nice to get some subs around the 30kg mark rather than the beasty 705's, I very much doubt I'll get a 905 at a good price though as they are obviously newer / more desirable.
    Also they only add an extra 1Db max SPL and a couple hundred watts ... I have no idea how they sound but the FBT's are peak SPL of 136 and 1200w RMS for the same price as a new 705 just there are no used subs for sale

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Sounds like you're very lucky
    It's not luck really, just some people aren't all that money clever and just want to flog something to get it out of their way... just need to wait until one of these people sells an item that you want, either that or auctions on eBay sometimes people cannot afford something and that's where I come in and snatch a bargain because of lack of other buyers.
    If I was busier I would just buy the bloody sub for £800 and not waste my time but I have a fair bit of spare time .

Yes the rcf 905 subs are great as i have 4 of them but yes as stated may be out of your budget

1db difference won't be audible.

As for small speakers, why not get a pair of SRM350s?