Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Rhino speakers? or anyone using 10" tops?

Default Rhino speakers? or anyone using 10" tops?

I've been looking at replacing my speakers and a local DJ is selling this: http://www.soundmastersdirect.co.uk/...-2x-satellites at a decent price.

I can't find anything else about them online and anything Rhino that does come up is for their stands.

I'm a bit wary of 10" tops (I'm currently using 15s) but the guy says they have plenty of punch for their size and says that just the tops have did him for parties up to 120 people and the tops and bass bin have done a room with 350 in it. That doesn't sound entirely feasible to me either, I'm assuming the 200 watts per head and 500 for the bass are max and not RMS.

If you are replacing your speakers, I would only buy tried and trusted makes and not something 'cos it's going for a decent price. I use QSC K10s which are extremely efficient, with RCF 705AS subs. Usually only one sub for up to about 150 people, but two for bigger parties. We used them for 350 at the Waldorf last week and they coped fine. My point being, 10" speakers, if they are efficient enough, will be fine, coupled with a sub. The K10s are about £1300 a par though, so in a different sort of league from what you are linking to.

The tweeter spec is given as 1", presumably compression drivers ?
    However being 'Rhino' they may well have multiple large horns !

The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

Thanks for the advice the things that were making me wary was the 10" tops but you've cleared that up and the brand which I'm still unsure on.

I'm popping along to see them this afternoon but I'll need to be REALLY impressed to go for them.

I'll need to have a look into those RCF tops if you reckon they're good. I could always keep the passive subs I've got just now. A bar in town I've started drinking in has small RCF's (8"s if even that) dotted all around the room and they sound amazing and incredibly full for their size. I asked the barstaff what model they were and just got weird looks

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    However being 'Rhino' they may well have multiple large horns !
    Stop it!! Or you'll be up before the Comedy Police.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I'm popping along to see them this afternoon but I'll need to be REALLY impressed to go for them.

I'll need to have a look into those RCF tops if you reckon they're good.
    Darren actually mentioned QSC, not RCF, but RCF do some fine ones also, in a more wallet friendly price range. ( And don't get cofused with QTX, who are even more wallet friendly, but less well regarded. )

Have a good look at W Audio, under the Prolight umbrella. It's not the most exciting stuff, but it does exactly what it says on the tin, and reliably. Available either active or passive (last time I looked ) and we heard the 10" passives on two rigs yesterday at Coalville, and they acquitted themselves honourably. Very honourably.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Stop it!! Or you'll be up before the Comedy Police.

http://lincoln-ne.americanlisted.com..._18447505.html

The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

I'm using 10" tops for all my gigs now....sometimes on their own!
    Yamaha DXR10's - I know Yamaha have previously been a very ordinary speaker maker, but these new ones are designed and manufactured with Nexo and really shake things up. The whole DXR range are rated at 700w, with a max SPL of at least 129dB. Highly recommended