Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! Malware alert

Symantec do a free removal tool under their Norton name. It scans your computer remotely and scans fr viruses and malware and can fix. It is free as it is a removal tool rather than a blocking tool. Remember to use a security program it is really worth the money to protect your stuff.
    When the world ends , ill probably have to clean up the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by spin mobile disco View Post
    Symantec do a free removal tool under their Norton name. It scans your computer remotely and scans fr viruses and malware and can fix. It is free as it is a removal tool rather than a blocking tool. Remember to use a security program it is really worth the money to protect your stuff.
    I've never tried their free malware removal tool because Norton is exceptionally well known for being a pain in the backside should you wish to remove it. I found this out when I bought a new laptop a few years ago that came with Norton installed. I didn't want to keep it so I uninstalled it but soon realised there were about 3 Norton processes still running in the background. Norton is also (or at least used to be) very resource-intensive which could have the effect of slowing your computer whilst running background scans. However, if the removal tool does it's job (including threat removal) remotely without actually installing anything then it could be worth a go.

If you're going down this line then always choose a trusted brand. There are many, many fake anti-virus scans out there that offer to scan your computer for free. The problem is they "find" threats that aren't actually there and offer the "remove" them for a fee. Lots of people have been stung by these scams so please be aware.

EDIT:
    It's just been pointed out to me by someone more clued-up on the subject that Norton isn't as bad as used to be and Norton AV 2013 is actually quite good coming third to Bitdefender and Kaspersky in lab tests. And it's not as resource intensive so will, apparently, run in the background without any noticeable strain on your computer. Sounds like it's improved an awful lot since I used it!
    Last edited by DazzyD; 13-02-2013 at 11:14 PM.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

The free version of this is pretty good too
    http://www.superantispyware.com/

Laptop came with Norton supposedly already installed, but I chose the AVG fully paid version £59.00 (A lot of good that did me). Still get alerts even through VDJ when I'm out gigging from Norton telling I'm no longer protected, and to click here etc to pay for their protection. I don't suppose this would have anything to do with current problems??

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE HANLEY View Post
    Laptop came with Norton supposedly already installed, but I chose the AVG fully paid version £59.00 (A lot of good that did me). Still get alerts even through VDJ when I'm out gigging from Norton telling I'm no longer protected, and to click here etc to pay for their protection. I don't suppose this would have anything to do with current problems??
    Shouldn't think so. You've probably gotten what's known as a "drive-by" infection whereby simply visiting an infected website (and not necessarily a "dodgy" website, either!) is enough to infect your computer. The recovery disc/usb key option that we've mentioned previously should be enough to cure the problem.

As for completely ridding your computer of Norton, I did mention this is not always a straightforward thing to do and this is why Norton has always been frowned upon as a pain in the backside. Try reading this link http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...rity-products/ or googling "how to completely remove norton" for some tips.
    Dazzy D

Born to make you party!

Naked women everywhere is a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I've never tried their free malware removal tool because Norton is exceptionally well known for being a pain in the backside should you wish to remove it.
    I think I would sooner get a virus than have to use Norton

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by musicologydisco View Post
    Naked women everywhere is a problem?
    Just a normal Friday night here
    Larry Basham

Can you play something with a beat ?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry B Entertainment View Post
    I think I would sooner get a virus than have to use Norton
    Totally agreee

Decided to take it back to factory settings. These malware removal tools are an absolute nightmare

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE HANLEY View Post
    Decided to take it back to factory settings. These malware removal tools are an absolute nightmare

I didn't know if you'd gotten it sorted or not. I was still expecting a call from you! I hope you haven't lost too much important data as that is really when this situation becomes a nightmare.

But I really can't stress enough the importance of backing up your important data (although this might be too late for Steve right now). With the number of free, secure online backup services available now, there's really no excuse for not taking these precautions. And there's really no need to lose data. I use a number of these services and I've a free night tonight so I'll knock up a guide to online backup which, hopefully, someone might find useful.
    Dazzy D

Born to make you party!