Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: 2 amps with 1 mixer?

Default 2 amps with 1 mixer?

Hi, i have a DJM350 mixer with two master outs and two amps, one is 2000 watt and the other 1000 watt with two speakers for each one, is it ok to connect both amps to the separate master outs on the mixer? And would it reduce performance?

Cheers

Having had a quick glance at the manual, it seems designed to run two separate amps from the master output. That is slightly unusual, as both outputs are phono (RCA ). Normally, there'd be a balanced XLR option, or a booth output with a separate volume control.

I see no reason why you shouldn't try it, it's possible that you may get a very minor drop in the output compared to running only one, but I'd expect it to be really minimal. If the mixer had XLR outs, I'd suggest another way, but since it doesn't, I won't.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Having had a quick glance at the manual, it seems designed to run two separate amps from the master output. That is slightly unusual, as both outputs are phono (RCA ). Normally, there'd be a balanced XLR option, or a booth output with a separate volume control.

I see no reason why you shouldn't try it, it's possible that you may get a very minor drop in the output compared to running only one, but I'd expect it to be really minimal. If the mixer had XLR outs, I'd suggest another way, but since it doesn't, I won't.

Thanks for the reply, i will go ahead then on saturdays gig and see how it goes!

I also have an old Prosound MMX-410 if this is any use?!

I've used the set up of 2 amps with 1 mixer before a number of times in the past.
    When I used to run a full passive set up I would use 2 amps. 1 connected to main output for full range and the other connected to booth for bass bins. No problems at all.
    I've recently had the Crown XLS repaired and have done 3 gigs with it now since it was repaired but there is always that doubt in my mind so I bought another amp (W-Audio) as back up. I have started taking it with me to all bookings and have it connected to the unbalanced outputs and turned down so all I need to do incase there are any problems with the Crown is literally change over the speak on cables.

Quote Originally Posted by hazza View Post
    I also have an old Prosound MMX-410 if this is any use?!
    I had one once. Gave the blighter away eventually! ( Actually, they're an excellent backup mixer. I never minded using it too much, its biggest fault ws very very sensitive faders. Easy to suddenly deafen the punters when you brought one up without care. On the plus side, you could spend the first ten minutes of each gig machine gunning the crowd with it. )

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    I've used the set up of 2 amps with 1 mixer before a number of times in the past.
    When I used to run a full passive set up I would use 2 amps. 1 connected to main output for full range and the other connected to booth for bass bins. No problems at all.
    The normal state of affairs. As I said though, this mixer doesn't seem to have a booth output, merely two main outs, so a slightly different scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    I've recently had the Crown XLS repaired and have done 3 gigs with it now since it was repaired but there is always that doubt in my mind so I bought another amp (W-Audio) as back up. I have started taking it with me to all bookings and have it connected to the unbalanced outputs and turned down so all I need to do incase there are any problems with the Crown is literally change over the speak on cables.
    You've lost all confidence in the Crown, haven't you? Shame. I think you just got a rogue one. The W Audio range aren't the most exciting ones, nor the most powerful, but they do tend to make make a noise every time you plug them in. Reassuring .
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I had one once. I never minded using it too much, its biggest fault was very very sensitive faders. Easy to suddenly deafen the punters when you brought one up without care.
    I used to have a Prosound mixer and that was the same. For some reason they thought it would be a good idea to use Linear faders as used in lighting controllers rather than Logarithmic ones that should be used for Audio. All the gain was at the bottom end and very rapid whereas there was virtually no difference between 5 and 10 at the top end of the scale !!!

There shouldn't be any drop in output. Sounds like you had a dodgy Crown, did you get it repaired at an authorised place?