Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro Mobile - Conference 2013

Let's not get all dewy eyed about this. BPM was always and is a business. The same for the conference. Mark isn't stupid and is a business man and I'm sure he has calculated the risk as he would in any other business. Whilst I encourage anything that makes our industry better, you're making out that he's doing us all a big favour by putting this on! If the powers that be are making a loss and putting their houses on the line etc, then they shouldn't be running a DJ conference on how to be more successful!

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Let's not get all dewy eyed about this. BPM was always and is a business. The same for the conference. Mark isn't stupid and is a business man and I'm sure he has calculated the risk as he would in any other business. Whilst I encourage anything that makes our industry better, you're making out that he's doing us all a big favour by putting this on! If the powers that be are making a loss and putting their houses on the line etc, then they shouldn't be running a DJ conference on how to be more successful!
    For once Darren i do agree with you Snapshot this post and frame it

Still going to be a great few days
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

My comment on them not making loads of money is probably being taken out of the context I meant it to sound. What I mean is that these guys didn't start with hundreds of thousands of pounds. They are average guys with families like most of us probably and therefore didn't have the money for it not to work. This is my opinion of course. This is a very small industry compared to many and it is difficult to get things like this working, I personally think they have done a great job with BPM and hope they are successful with this new idea.

Quote Originally Posted by discoworld View Post
    My comment on them not making loads of money is probably being taken out of the context I meant it to sound. What I mean is that these guys didn't start with hundreds of thousands of pounds. They are average guys with families like most of us probably and therefore didn't have the money for it not to work. This is my opinion of course. This is a very small industry compared to many and it is difficult to get things like this working, I personally think they have done a great job with BPM and hope they are successful with this new idea.
    Same here.
    They have put lots of effort in and probably dont expect huge returns, but of course are entitled to be paid for thier time with a profit too.

I sometimes wonder why anyone tries to do anything for the their fellow DJ's, whether they are doing it for profit or not. People set up forums and facebook groups and then seem to spend considerable amounts of time sorting out petty fights.

If anyone suggests that DJ's should pay for a conference, or a forum, or (heaven forbid) training, splits appear in the community - I just think it's so sad.

DJ's seem to want everything for nothing - they want the cheapest deal on anything they buy and they often seem to expect their colleagues to share knowledge for no return.

The ProMobile Conference is a great opportunity to spend a couple of days with fellow DJ's have a good chat and see where the industry might go. I know it's not cheap but it's a business expense that can be offset against tax so for me it's a no-brainer. I wish Eddie and Mark all the best with this project and I thank them for seeing an opportunity and having the guts to have a go.

Peace & Love
    Counting my blessings

Unique, Elegant and Fun Wedding Disco Entertainment
    http://www.thepartydj.co.uk

I thought about going but its a large expense,i also live in scotland so the cost of travelling alone is very costly.

I am happy attending bpm every year where i can get the same networking with like minded djs,attend the various seminars\workshops ect

I do wish the team luck with the conference and hope it goes well

To me, it seems the whole DJ education debate is not entirely different to the whole private vs state education debate. Upward and downward snobbery are rife.

For those who can afford, via silver spoons or other sacrifices, the "private education" of high-fee courses, the benefits and opportunities are obvious. Doors open more easily (rightly or wrongly - they do!) And suprisingly enough, Eton is run for profit too...

Others can only do their best from the local comprehensive (BPM/NADJ/even DJ Tutor and forums!)....but with hard work also get great careers.

Hope this allegory makes sense!

Other people can stick to £60 "dole" gigs ....." 'cos you can't get no jobs round yer, like, innit."
    Thankfully, I don't think anyone on this forum falls into that camp. :-)
    Last edited by Jonny Boy; 01-03-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not knocking the concept or the event and hope it goes well. Not going personally, but that is in no way a comment on the event / doesn't mean it wouldn't interest me another time. However, the marketing has been very poorly managed.

If the adverts were only coming direct from the conference marketing, then unsubscribing would be an option. However, the emails are coming from every conceivable DJ source - from places that I want to continue to receive information, so unsubscribing isn't an option! - and there appears to have been no central co-ordination to check when these various 'partners' will be sending out their emails, which has resulted in the 4 emails in one day scenario which is what has annoyed people so much.

Hopefully, they will have learnt from these mistakes and the marketing will be better co-ordinated if they do another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Boy View Post
    Other people can stick to £60 "dole" gigs ....." 'cos you can't get no jobs round yer, like, innit."
    Thankfully, I don't think anyone on this forum falls into that camp. :-)
    Plenty of lurkers though. a once a year £500 investment is not too much really for two days conferences, accommodation
    and a gala dinner! depends how people look at it. Its only two gigs for an average DJ, which is a minimal expense opposed
    to what you can learn and as a result in improving your business.

Get a good idea for example which may double trade or enable you to double your price.
    Most of them have come from events like this rather than forums and Facebook posts personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Hopefully, they will have learnt from these mistakes and the marketing will be better co-ordinated if they do another one.
    I agree.

The line up looks good Gonna be a fun weekend:

Name:  Pro Mobile Conference 2013 - The Itinerary[2].jpg
Views: 265
Size:  38.3 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 13-03-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Glad to hear the confrence went well guys.just a few thing

1)whay are these events allways held in upmarket costly venues? (which increases the cost)

2)did they really need a grand gala dinner (which also increases the cost)

3)does attending the workshop guarantee you any extra bookings?does it bring in any extra money to your business?

4)i think they are all about putting your prices up,you should be charging a minimun of x ammount
    5)from my experience of the various workshops\seminars i have attended yes they are full of good advice,but by putting my fees up i have lost out on alot of bookings.