Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a numpty question? (Active Speakers)

Default Is this a numpty question? (Active Speakers)

Hi all,

I'm sure I heard someone out on the road ask this very same question to me once and I didn't have a reply so I thought I'd ask here.

Active Speakers - They have their own amps in them.
    If for some reason they went down, could you run them with an amp?
    Would they ideally turn into passive speakers if they stopped working due to the amps?

I thought I'd ask. It's either a really stupid numpty question with an obvious answer or a decent one that hasn't been asked before?
    Either way, it would be interesting to know.
    Thanks

I wouldn't have thought so, the main reason being is 9/10 active speakers use XLRs and from what I understand you can only put about 80w (or somewhere around that figure) through them.

You certainly couldn't send a signal from an external amp to the XLR input and expect them to work without modification, but it would be very easy to rewire them to accept a signal from an external amp to be able to use them as passive speakers, if the built in amp was to fail beyond economic repair. Ideally you would also remove the internal amp, (or the heavier componants i.e. heatsink, transformer ect) at the same time to reduce the weight you would be left carrying around.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

I've often thought having an input for an external amp would be very handy on powered speakers for back-up. Though perhaps not the best selling point for reliability as it could be construed the manufacturer expects you'll have to use them, and they'd also need to be wired up to cut-off the internal amp when in use to avoid two power loads, adding more expense.

I'm sure the designers have thought of it, but as there aren't any on the market it's obviously been dismissed for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post

I'm sure the designers have thought of it, but as there aren't any on the market it's obviously been dismissed for various reasons.
    Panto Time. " Oh yes there are". ( were? )

I've seen them at a NADJ meeting, Brooke make them. I liked them. Can I find a link to the models in question? No. Perhaps they were discontinued, I don't know. Sorry.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

It begs the question, why would you carry an amplifier around with you if you were kitted out with active speakers? surely you would carry a spare speaker instead. Regarding rewiring to use as passive speakers, I forgot to add, you would also need to fit a suitable passive crossover
    Last edited by Pe7e; 24-02-2013 at 12:27 PM.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    It begs the question, why would you carry an amplifier around with you if you were kitted out with active speakers? surely you would carry a spare speaker instead. Regarding rewiring to use as passive speakers, I forgot to add, you would also need to fit a suitable passive crossover
    Smaller and lighter (well some amps are lighter), no need to set-up the spare speaker, just connect the amp which you could have running already, like any good back-up plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Panto Time. " Oh yes there are". ( were? )

I've seen them at a NADJ meeting, Brooke make them. I liked them. Can I find a link to the models in question? No. Perhaps they were discontinued, I don't know. Sorry.
    I can confirm this as I was at the same demo,
    The speakers do seam to have dissapeared from view but seemed a good idea

All you need to do is add drill a speakon socket into the case and connect that to a new passive xover then add a simple switch that will break the existing speaker connectons to the passive amp and instead link it to a cheap xover that then feeds the drivers. Pretty simple job to be honest. This way you have the best of both worlds at the flick of a switch.

I took apart my RCF705as the other day ... if you unscrew the amp (lots of screws) you're left with 2 wires - would be an easy job to wire a new amp to it if you had some basic electrical tools and a spare 20 mins.
    I personally would never bother... spare speaker all the way.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD