Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd birthday party

Quote Originally Posted by DJ jordi J View Post
    My advice play off "now 83" and chuck in a couple of nursery rhyme's. roll with it and relax,
    I don't think Oasis and Frankie Goes To Hollywood are very suitable....

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    I don't think Oasis and Frankie Goes To Hollywood are very suitable....
    Taxi for Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by leelive View Post
    The dj's doing their parties have followed some simple rules:
    1. Don't use any Graphic EQ.... just turn up the volume and max the treble so that it bounces off the walls and pierces everyone's ears.
    2. Don't bother with digitally controlled lighting... Just have random patterns and lasers spinning in all directions.
    3. Stick to one style of music.... even if no-one is dancing.
    4. Finally, play "musical bumps" at the last minute.
    Lee, I was going to say - this reads as a long list of things NOT to do at a 3yr old's party

If it's a party for a 3yr old then the guests will be roughly 2/3yrs in age, and are going to be really hard to instruct. As others have said you're going to be reliant on Mums/Dads/Older siblings to get them to interact with you and do the usual party game kind of stuff and they're also too small to do any big running around games (and can quite easily come a cropper if they bump into each other).

Musical Statues/Bumps they will get - as long as you demonstrate very clearly what you're doing (and you can either play this so that they get prizes for being the quickest, or you get them out if they're the slowest).

If you do party dances, keep them very very simple so that they can follow easily.

The best entertainment for them is actually likely to be quite slapstick/puppet show kind of stuff (or simple magic) as they'll sit and watch this kind of stuff quite readily and can appreciate "visual" humour.... but admittedly that's not every DJ's cup of tea.

You're definitely going to have a challenge on your hands. Music wise, keep it cheesy - if the track is current or not is irrelevant, they will have absolutely no concept at all of what music is around and/or popular at this age, it's just about the "feel" of the music (think happy and bouncy!)

Oh, also smoke/bubble machines go down well - and combining the two goes down even better (e.g. feeding fog into the bubble machine so you get foggy bubbles that turn into clouds when they're popped!)

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by leelive View Post
    I have been to a few kids parties at my wee son's school.

The dj's doing their parties have followed some simple rules:
    1. Don't use any Graphic EQ.... just turn up the volume and max the treble so that it bounces off the walls and pierces everyone's ears.
    2. Don't bother with digitally controlled lighting... Just have random patterns and lasers spinning in all directions.
    3. Stick to one style of music.... even if no-one is dancing.
    4. Finally, play "musical bumps" at the last minute.

Good luck.

Lee
    I think some people missed your satirical take on this one. Lee!!

However, I too have seen "DJs" operating the same way at kids parties and I was feeling the same way as you!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I think some people missed your satirical take on this one. Lee!!

However, I too have seen "DJs" operating the same way at kids parties and I was feeling the same way as you!
    You wouldn't be the only one. Ironically I've seen just as many instances of this at Adult parties!

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Thanks for the help guys though it looks like this one might be a no go anyway.

Contacting her has been very hard.

She has 2 different mobiles she's text me on (I'm not exactly sure what that's all about or which one is actually hers) but I text her on one number and get an instant reply from the other one right away

When she phoned me from her house she withheld the number so I can't contact her there.

There's 2 different e-mail address I've been given as one pings back my e-mails.

And even with all of that, I still can't get her to finalise some details (literally just her last name and address) to draw up the contract. I've explained that the booking still isn't confirmed until I have receive a signed contract which I can't do until I have all of the information confirmed by her.

Nothing.

Fair enough it's just a low paid 2 hours weans party but there's no way I'm going out without a contract especially given how fascinated kids are with my uplit scrims and lights and the fact I'll have lights hanging at grabbing height from my ATLAS stands.

Can't you contact the venue to see if they have anymore info the matter? They may be able to contact her for you

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

Rather you than me!

We do kids discos, but only for ages 5+, as below that, you can't really interact / organise properly: they don't really even understand the concept of a dance floor at age 3!

Even the last party we did for 5 yr olds, I tried talking to them, and not a single one of them could name a pop song that they liked: the only request we had was for 'Twinkle, twinkle little star'

We have two of us at kids parties, so that at least one of us can be out on the floor at all times, and even with that, I wouldn't contemplate a disco for 3 yr olds. If she's disappeared, I think I'd view it as a lucky escape!

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Rather you than me!

We do kids discos, but only for ages 5+, as below that, you can't really interact / organise properly: they don't really even understand the concept of a dance floor at age 3!

Even the last party we did for 5 yr olds, I tried talking to them, and not a single one of them could name a pop song that they liked: the only request we had was for 'Twinkle, twinkle little star'

We have two of us at kids parties, so that at least one of us can be out on the floor at all times, and even with that, I wouldn't contemplate a disco for 3 yr olds. If she's disappeared, I think I'd view it as a lucky escape!
    That's been a well-requested tune for me this year!! In fact, I'm thinking maybe I should look in to getting a dance remix done!!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Thanks for the help guys though it looks like this one might be a no go anyway.

Contacting her has been very hard.

She has 2 different mobiles she's text me on (I'm not exactly sure what that's all about or which one is actually hers) but I text her on one number and get an instant reply from the other one right away

When she phoned me from her house she withheld the number so I can't contact her there.

There's 2 different e-mail address I've been given as one pings back my e-mails.

And even with all of that, I still can't get her to finalise some details (literally just her last name and address) to draw up the contract. I've explained that the booking still isn't confirmed until I have receive a signed contract which I can't do until I have all of the information confirmed by her.

Nothing.

Fair enough it's just a low paid 2 hours weans party but there's no way I'm going out without a contract especially given how fascinated kids are with my uplit scrims and lights and the fact I'll have lights hanging at grabbing height from my ATLAS stands.

That's a lot of chasing for a small job! I wouldn't give it any more time or effort and just think of it as still being in the enquiry stage. Leave it in her court and if another booking confirms in the meantime so be it.