Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: KAM Laserscan 3D ILDA Laser

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    That has to be one of the most stupid statements I've ever read.
    Can I suggest from now on that any simple statements are backed up with reasoning? This is the second time a comment of mine has been called stupid, yet nobody cares to say why it is?
    So please elaborate - I might even agree!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Can I suggest from now on that any simple statements are backed up with reasoning? This is the second time a comment of mine has been called stupid, yet nobody cares to say why it is?
    So please elaborate - I might even agree!
    Well stop making stupid statements then - that'll solve it.

But lets break it down....

Everybody knows the beam is dangerous (you say).

So the DJ is shining a beam he knows to be dangerous into a crowd and it's their fault if they get eye damage? Begs the question why is the DJ doing it in the first place if he knows it's dangerous (or isn't it, or is there a contradiction somewhere....)

Lets think about the crowd at an average gig - how many do you think would be able to identify what lights the DJ is using? And which ones they need to avert their eyes to if it shines on them?

Do I really need to go on???

That has to be one of the most stupid statements I've ever read.
    And also comparing a laser with cigarettes and alcohol has to come pretty close too.

There is no comparison.

Well stop making stupid statements then - that'll solve it.

But lets break it down....

Everybody knows the beam is dangerous (you say).
    Now that I think about it I should have said staring at the aperture of a laser is dangerous ... staring at the beam won't do bugger all

So the DJ is shining a beam he knows to be dangerous into a crowd and it's their fault if they get eye damage? Begs the question why is the DJ doing it in the first place if he knows it's dangerous (or isn't it, or is there a contradiction somewhere....)

Lets think about the crowd at an average gig - how many do you think would be able to identify what lights the DJ is using? And which ones they need to avert their eyes to if it shines on them?
    Everything you've said makes sense from the textbook way of thinking.
    What I'm trying to get across is that there are risks that are present in a disco environment which people may not be aware of which can cause injury or damage which are accepted because they are enjoyable!
    I think the same should apply to the lasers - which are fascinating to watch!

The answer to how would the crowd know what lights a DJ uses and which to avoid is - everybody looks away from lights when they are about to shine in their face as they know it will cause discomfort or pain.
    Which is why (unless I'm mistaken) the only people to have received real injuries from lasers having been deliberately staring at the source - which is something you just don't do even if it's a torch!

It's funny you should say the comparison with lasers vs smoke and alcohol is close to stupid ... I got the idea from the International Laser Display Association

"Audience scanning lasers are often found in venues such as discos where patrons enjoy riskier than-normal activities. This includes hearing-damaging sound levels, alcohol consumption
    (sometimes to excess), smoking, and even potential consumption of illegal drugs. Patrons self manage the risk; they can move farther from the speakers or use earplugs; they can avoid
    alcohol, smoking etc. Similarly, if an audience scanning show is uncomfortable and/or above the
    MPE, patrons can and do avoid direct exposure by glancing away, blinking, blocking the direct
    beam, moving farther from the lasers, etc. This is one of the reasons why there have been so
    few injury reports in the past 30 years."

What they suggest is if the laser is under 10x MPE crowd scanning should be allowed if announcements are made to warn guests. This is however a proposal from them - they are just an association.

And for your first bit...
    I also get irritated by people making personal comments like "stupid". All that tells me is that they think they're right and therefore everyone else is, well, stupid. It also reflects an inability for reasoned debate.
    Last edited by musicologydisco; 12-03-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by musicologydisco View Post

I also get irritated by people making personal comments like "stupid". All that tells me is that they think they're right and therefore everyone else is, well, stupid. It also reflects an inability for reasoned debate.
    Indeed, I love a good debate!

Quote Originally Posted by musicologydisco View Post

Nope - it was just a stupid thing to say (ipso facto it had to be retracted and a lengthy explanation given). And it didn't refer to everyone - but if the cap fits!