Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Advice needed

Default Advice needed

A friend of mine is looking to buy a sound system for a venue which will need to be portable as it will only be used on certain nights. He has a budget of around £900 and the music will be club stuff (house). The venue holds 120 - 150 people.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent sound system that will be within budget and will be adequate for the job.

Cheers

Do you mean everything or just a PA?

You could get 2 active Alto tops and a 12" sub for around that price if the desk and playout devices are already there.

Question is, what kind of venue is it? If it's a bar playing mainly background music then yes a couple of tops and an active sub may do, better still two subs. If it's more of a club, he needs to save a little longer. Basic kit won't last long at club levels.

Will he have other DJs or just him? Or is it just a cd player? If it's anything other than just him, he'll need to think seriously about protection. Club DJs love the red lights.

If it's only going to be used on certain nights I'd consider hiring, I don't thing £900 is going to get him a club system.

Quote Originally Posted by Djanddisco View Post
    If it's only going to be used on certain nights I'd consider hiring, I don't thing £900 is going to get him a club system.
    Having worked regularly in a club that spent about that on their PA, I can vouch for this. They've been through 5 amps in 3 years. Buying with a limited budget is false economy, it's far better to save up and buy quality kit.

If it's a "proper" club, then he's going to need tops (depending on the size and shape of the room, possibly multiple sets), at least two bass bins, amps and a limiter of some kind. He's also going to need to think carefully about where the amps and limiter are positioned as they'll need to be somewhere cool (which is typically not the DJ box unless it's winter) and they'll also need to be somewhere that the DJ's can't mess with the limiter settings.

It's also not a great idea to buy active, especially if the speakers are going to be flown as they'll end up in the hottest part of the room which will make them prone to failure (not to mention the issues with drinks being spilled onto them, etc if they're not sensibly positioned).

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Thanks for the replies so far, it will just be for the amp and speakers and the venue is a bar and not a nightclub.

Cheers