Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: using three tops?

Default using three tops?

Hi guys. I have a pair of RCF HD12 since october/november and my gig at the weekend one of them just stopped working, it wasnt overran or anything and I managed to get it back to the dealer on sunday evening and it seems that the amp module has failed. I contacted him today and he is still awaiting delievry of a new amp module. My question is should I insist on a brand new speaker or should a repair be sufficient. I think under consumer law its repair first and then replace so he is within his rights. My second question is regarding my gig tomorrow night. I have a backup set of QTX 12s but they wouldnt be sufficient for the size of the room i'm playing. Would it be a silly idea to use my one remaining HD12 and both QTX speakers or should I try and get the dealer to lend me something for the weekend. This would probably involve a 60 - 90 min trip tomorrow when i'll already be busy. I had hoped i'd get this resolved before now! I could probably borrow a set of mackies but I hated them when I borrowed them before and they are so big and awkward in their cases.

I think you've just got to try it and see how it sounds, are you running subs ?
    If not I would have thought all mono otherwise one RCF for one side and two QTX on the other.

I would ask the dealer for a free hire.

And....there is absolutely no point in having backup equipment if it doesn't cover all eventualities. Flog the QTX and get something you could happily work with and would be suitable for all venues if the RCF went down again.

Since the third cab you've got is active, there's no problem with using it to help out the QTX cabs. Positioning may be critical. Run everything mono ( if poss ) and consider maybe sticking the RCF in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I would ask the dealer for a free hire.
    Good idea.
    And....there is absolutely no point in having backup equipment if it doesn't cover all eventualities. Flog the QTX and get something you could happily work with and would be suitable for all venues if the RCF went down again.
    I don't agree wholeheartedly with that view. I can totally understand where Darren's coming from, and in my opinion, his premise falls down in only one area. Cost. I think most DJ's seem to spend as much as they can afford on the frontline PA, thus dictating that the backup is very cost conscious. Consider also the financial sense in having a second set of highly expensive cabs in the shed doing nothing on a regular basis. Many users of active cabs work on the theory that since both cabs are unlikely to fail simultaneously, then one cab of the same model is sufficient backup.

I prefer to work on the mix'n'match principle, having a selection of lower cost cabs ( and amps ) of interchangeable specs, picking the most appropriate ones for each job.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

I don't agree wholeheartedly with that view. I can totally understand where Darren's coming from, and in my opinion, his premise falls down in only one area. Cost.
    So it's worth getting backup that you can afford that doesn't do the job then?

Sorry Peter, but that is nonsense. There is no point in buying anything if it doesn't do the job. Why would you buy something on the cheap that doesn't do the job? It makes no sense. And cost should not be an issue with second hand active speakers being a couple of hundred quid. What do people charge on here, £10 for a disco? No, didn't think so.

So it's worth getting backup that you can afford that doesn't do the job then?
    Sorry Peter, but that is nonsense. There is no point in buying anything if it doesn't do the job. Why would you buy something on the cheap that doesn't do the job?
    It may not do The , but it will do a job. And the reason people buy kit that won't do the job is that they believe it will never have to. I'm not advocating this course of action, as I prefer a different method. What I'm saying is that many folk believe that by buying top notch branded kit, they're far less likely to need the backup kit, thus meaning that they wouldn't need to spend huge sums on the backup kit.

It makes no sense.
    I never said it was a wise policy, simply that it's one followed by many people. To me, spending less on the front line kit, and more on a backup which can be interchanged with, or added to the main one is a better idea. I think I can feel a poll coming on.

And cost should not be an issue with second hand active speakers being a couple of hundred quid. What do people charge on here, £10 for a disco? No, didn't think so.
    One cuts one's coat according to one's cloth.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I would say put the single speaker on the floor maybe under the deckstand / table. Then use the tops either side. That will mean the treble from the single is muted but bass enhanced to boost the limitations of the tops. It will look better that way as well.
    I would not try to balance a system with 2 different speakers as it will simply be a different response from each side. So use the more powerful to boost the frequencies or volume that the qtx cannot manage. I would recoment if you have an active crossover set it to 90 - 100hz and let the gtx handle the mid and top and let the other handle lower frequencies.
    When the world ends , ill probably have to clean up the mess.