Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Lapel Mic System - Advice Please

Default Lapel Mic System - Advice Please

Hi all,

Been thinking for a while about getting a lapel mic system as I am getting a number of jobs via one of my residencies for sound hire for conferences etc.
    Until now I have used my wireless microphones.
    I've never used a lapel system before and have a job this week where they would prefer to use lapel mics if possible.
    I've seen some cheapish systems online but have had difficulty finding out exactly how they would be connected to a PA system.
    I understand that the mics plug into packs that are secured on the body and the signal is sent via the receiver.
    What I want to know firstly is....The receiver. Am I right in thinking that you'd connect the receiver to the mixer via XLR or 1/4" lead?
    Also, if there is 1 receiver that can be connected to 2 x lapel mics, does 1 XLR or 1/4" connected to the mixer work for that. I assume you just adjust the volume for each mic?

I've looked online and I haven't seen that many rear view photos of the receiver hence the need to ask what is probably a stupid question.
    My 2 radio mics are pretty simple and it's just a 1/4" from the receiver to the mixer and that's it. I'm guessing this would be the same theory?

Thanks in advance.

A Shure dual lavalier system like THIS would probably suit your purposes.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Most radio mic systems have either a 6mm jack or and XLR output on the back so you can choose what to use, often the XLR is at a mic level and the jack a line level. Some dual systems have just one output jack for both channels but this is not so good as it is better to control the levels on each mic.

Generally lapel mics are a pain to work with, especially if you need a lot of amplification. The mic is not close to the mouth and as people turn their heads the sound changes. Very carful speaker placement is needed.

Thanks for the replies and advice.
    I'll let you know how I get on later as I will be setting up after my customer meeting this afternoon.
    I've managed to borrow a system of a friend of a friend.

Just an update on this...
    There was a lack of space in the room and to be honest, I am not sure why they required lapel mics (if any mics at all).
    Projector screen was set up and a lecturn too (not mine) and I positioned the speakers as far away from where the speaker would be er.....speaking.
    I found it a tad difficult to get the sound spot on without the odd bit of feedback now and then. I took a lot of the bass out on the mixing desk and it was ok.
    I think that if there had been more space and the speakers could have been spaced out better, there would have not been the feedback issues.
    As already said, it's also down to the positioning of the lapel mics too. When I soundchecked and held the mic in front of my face it was fine. When I soundchecked with the lapel mic on my shirt collar, it was difficult to get spot on. I walked around the room and stood where the speakers would be doing their thing and that's when it became more difficult to get right.

I will be investing in a system though at some point.

I find lavelier mics are great for situations where you are recording the sound rather than amplifying it in the same room. For example, for tv/radio news broadcasts and interviews they are fantastic an much easier to work with (experience gained from a local news station's OBs). But in a live environment where the sound is being amplified there and then, I find they are much harder to control meaning you need to turn up the gain which also increases the risk of feedback. You can lessen this risk by turning down the lower frequencies (like Gary did and pretty much was a "Feedback Filter" or "killer" unit would do) as these reverberate around the room more than the tighter, higher frequencies. But the problem is hard to eradicate totally. For these situations, it's much better to use a headset mic as these are much closer to the sound source (or the mouth as we call it!) than lavelier mics and, therefore, need less gain.

The mics we've used in the past are the Trantec S4.4 ones and I've always found them easy to work with. Don't know if they do a twin version but they have switchable frequencies so several can be used side by side.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I've just seen this very interesting thread.

Gary, what was the system you used in the end? Can anyone advise if there is a possibility that a better system would have reduced the problems? That Shure system looks like a good solution but would it have performed in the same way?

I wish I had some knowledge that would contribute to the discussion!

Cheers peeps
    Counting my blessings

Unique, Elegant and Fun Wedding Disco Entertainment
    http://www.thepartydj.co.uk

perosnally i would stick with the sennheiser EW122 G3 or the new xsw which is the replacment of the freeport and is alot better sound and less drop out 2

Quote Originally Posted by Paul The Party Dj View Post
    I've just seen this very interesting thread.

Gary, what was the system you used in the end? Can anyone advise if there is a possibility that a better system would have reduced the problems? That Shure system looks like a good solution but would it have performed in the same way?

I wish I had some knowledge that would contribute to the discussion!

Cheers peeps
    It was a Senheisser system Paul. Not sure what the model was.