Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speakers popping when adding plugs to same extention

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I reckon a better answer is to take a switched four or six way mains connector to a tame sparkie, and get some capacitors soldered in. Shouldn't be too expensive.
    Asked my friend and he said putting cap's across the mains would work as a bit of a bodge and someone he works with suggested a "special extension lead with supression" Which kind of sounds like an extension lead with caps already in it!?!

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    I always have my audio system on a surge protected mains extension separate from the lights.
    Is surge protection the same as "supression"? The separate socket idea is great but since I've got these speakers 2/3 gigs there has not been another outlet so I'm thinking It's best to solve this

EDIT -

just found these ... is this what I'm looking for ??? http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/shop/el...ge-442447.html
    Last edited by ukpartydj; 03-04-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

forget about that ... I've found a mains conditioning extention lead which seems much more like the thing I need - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lindy-Main...item5aefa3aaf2

From what I understand the lead should provide interference free mains power ... which I'm hoping means I can plug lights smoke and speakers all on this strip without the pops

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    forget about that ... I've found a mains conditioning extention lead which seems much more like the thing I need - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lindy-Main...item5aefa3aaf2

From what I understand the lead should provide interference free mains power ... which I'm hoping means I can plug lights smoke and speakers all on this strip without the pops
    Looks like that would do the job. In theory though it'd only cut down on conducted noise (e.g. noise being transmitted down the cables) as opposed to radiated noise (e.g. RF noise being broadcast by sparks across contacts). The RCF cabs should be mostly immune to broadcast noise, so it ought to get rid of your issues. I might have to look into one of these as well (as well as Ferrite cores on my USB cables - as these are definitely picking up on broadcast RF noise, not the conducted type).

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I have to be very careful as I've found both these pieces of equipment can cause USB communication failure if the power cables or the wired remotes for them are too close to the USB cables. I've seen both DMX and MIDI controllers lock up because of this.

Julian
    I too have had this Julian, I swapped all my usb cables for very high quality cables with ferite beads, but it made no difference. Believe it or not the simple solution for me was to remove the external corded mouse, I now use one with a tiny little dongle and have never had this problem since even with cheap usb cables without ferite, seemed it was the external mouse that was letting the spikes into the usb circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundONE View Post
    I too have had this Julian, I swapped all my usb cables for very high quality cables with ferite beads, but it made no difference. Believe it or not the simple solution for me was to remove the external corded mouse, I now use one with a tiny little dongle and have never had this problem since even with cheap usb cables without ferite, seemed it was the external mouse that was letting the spikes into the usb circuit.
    Ironically I've been avoiding using a wireless mouse because of concerns with interference with the other kit

Might to have to give that a go...

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I have no idea if this is connected but oddly enough since I started using the RCF speakers my AUDIO6 traktor interface has started playing up, it occasionally does it at startup so never put the 2 together however all this talk of USB cable interfereance is making me wonder if that there is possibly a connection... a few tests are due I think!

Meanwhile I've purchased the extension lead and will update with any progress in the speaker popping area.

UPDATE //

Unless I've done this wrong - having the speakers come off the mains conditioning extention lead does not help.
    The speakers still pop loudly.
    However I tried it on my home speakers which make a very small pop (hardly noticeable) and it does eliminate that.

Will probably ask my friend to open up the speakers and test the insides as it's obviously an issue with the speakers/amps themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    UPDATE //

Unless I've done this wrong - having the speakers come off the mains conditioning extention lead does not help.
    I think you have done it wrong. You're trying to quieten the arc across the auxiliaries, not the speakers. Plug the RCF's into a normal cable, and everything else into the conditioning one, see if that helps. Worth a try.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I think you have done it wrong. You're trying to quieten the arc across the auxiliaries, not the speakers. Plug the RCF's into a normal cable, and everything else into the conditioning one, see if that helps. Worth a try.
    Will give a go at the weekend, cheers.

Do the speakers still pop if you unplug the input leads and turn the volume down ?

If so, then it is the speakers picking it up, if not, then it is something further up the audio chain such as your signal leads, mixer or even the playout itself.

You say you get a pop on your home speakers as well which indicated to me that it is being picked up by leads or mixer etc. The reason it is so much more pronounced on your disco speakers is probably down to the fact that they are much louder speakers therefore more noticeable.

You need to prove exactly where the interference is being picked up. Nothing you do at the speakers will stop it if they are being fed the pop in the first place !