Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Central Station Hotel, Glasgow - Access Issues

Default Grand Central Station Hotel, Glasgow - Access Issues

I have a booking for Grand Central Station Hotel in Glasgow during the summer (which will be on a Saturday this year - the summer that is!)

Got to put in a big system along side a band.

I am a bit worried as I read on a chat forum that a DJ cancelled a wedding booking when he discovered that access is terrible.

Is it really that bad?

Any advice or suggestions welcome.

I will be pulling my Box Van Trailer so may need a large parking bay.

Many thanks.

Lee
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

Hi Lee, I haven't worked in it, but there are a load of guys in Glasgow that will not do it due to access... The load in is on network rail property and it is limited to 30 mins to unload. The vehicle then has to be moved... I am told you need to leave a trail of breadcrumbs to get around the maze of corridors and back to your gear. The lift access is by a key which you need to go and hunt for. I am booked for one there later in the year and to be honest I am dreading it.
    I know many of the big operators in glasgow refuse to do it... And they have roadies!
    David.

allstarsentertainments.com

I've got a few gigs lined up there later in the year and I'm a bit apprehensive too.

A mate of mine's band plays there fairly often and he says they're sometimes allowed to leave their cars in the loading bay but it depends on who's working and what else is parked up.

I'm going to give them a phone a bit nearer to the time and maybe try and sort out a dry run through the place to see exactly where you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post

I'm going to give them a phone a bit nearer to the time and maybe try and sort out a dry run through the place to see exactly where you go.
    Might do the same Jim... Give me a shout when you are going!
    David.

allstarsentertainments.com

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Davy View Post
    Might do the same Jim... Give me a shout when you are going!
    I was going to try and organise it around a meeting with the clients for my next gig but if that's not possible I'll give you a shout and we can try and sort out a time to go together.

FWIW I don't think it's quite as bad as people make out. I've only ever done walk ins there and that was before the refurb but I know other guys in a band who use huge Mackie 4 way speakers that have told me it's a PITA but not that much worse than any other city centre venue.

Lee I know the bride you're talking about and I think the main issue there was that it was a family friend type deal (i.e. cheap) and once he realised it was going to be a bit of bother he decided he didn't want to do it.

Default Thanks

Lee I know the bride you're talking about and I think the main issue there was that it was a family friend type deal (i.e. cheap) and once he realised it was going to be a bit of bother he decided he didn't want to do it.
    Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the insight.
    All the best
    Lee
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

When I say cheap I mean I think he was a pub / club DJ that came in cheaper than a proper wedding DJ.

Unfortunately as we all know getting a "deal" isn't always the best way to pick your DJ and this guy apparently decided that it was going to be too much hassle after agreeing to do it for them.

Thoroughly unprofessional way to go about your business and mind boggling to think you would do it to someone you know.

How many runs are you expecting to have to do with the set up you're taking? It sounds to me that the biggest hassle about it is getting from the loading bay through the hotel. Depending on how bad it looks like it's going to be, I might get someone in to roadie for me. Maybe something you could look into if you're going to have to do a sizeable number of runs.

I should maybe add that the 1st one I'm doing is with background music for the dinner too so I'll be able to have everything set up in an adjacent room then take in my sound set up quickly for the dinner then it'll only be rigging up the lights I need to worry about during the room turn over so I've got a bit more leeway and time to mess around with as long as I get there in plenty of time for the dinner.

I've got one here in July, can't wait lol

You'll need to let us know how you get on Mark.

I'll try and find a bit more from my mate about leaving the car in the loading bay. He genuinely didn't think it was a problem at all.

Shame it's not a walk in gig, I could get the train from down the road right in

You'll need to let us know how you get on Mark.

I'll try and find a bit more from my mate about leaving the car in the loading bay. He genuinely didn't think it was a problem at all.

Shame it's not a walk in gig, I could get the train from down the road right in
    My mistake, end of August, so who's first? lol