Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grand Central Station Hotel, Glasgow - Access Issues

I'm 31st of August.

While we're at it, I'm doing Sloan's for the 1st time a few weeks later. I've already phoned up and was told just to stick the hazards on in Argyle Street next to the lane that leads up to Sloan's (aka in the middle of a crossing and a bus stop!!!) and unload from there then find somewhere to park.

I'm going out on a limb and say that's not the smartest way to do it, anyone got any better ideas?

It's a Saturday night so the stalls will be out for the market too otherwise I'd have gone onto Buchanan St and drove down the other lane right to the loading door.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I'm 31st of August.

While we're at it, I'm doing Sloan's for the 1st time a few weeks later. I've already phoned up and was told just to stick the hazards on in Argyle Street next to the lane that leads up to Sloan's (aka in the middle of a crossing and a bus stop!!!) and unload from there then find somewhere to park.

I'm going out on a limb and say that's not the smartest way to do it, anyone got any better ideas?

It's a Saturday night so the stalls will be out for the market too otherwise I'd have gone onto Buchanan St and drove down the other lane right to the loading door.
    Strange, I'm 31st August too lol, so they've either got 2 weddings on or something fishy is going on here ! Probably just two weddings

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wild View Post
    Strange, I'm 31st August too lol, so they've either got 2 weddings on or something fishy is going on here ! Probably just two weddings

Looks like I'm not getting to leave the car parked up then

Mine's is a civil partnership.

When I met with the guys they reckoned they had a full wing to themselves. Can't remember the room names right enough but they were down from the champagne bar and had a room that faced onto Gordon St and a wee ante-room where the bar will be so it's shaped like an L. Looking on their site it seems like it's the CLyde and Queen's room as my one's only for 60 folk.

Will be cool to meet you.

Will be cool to meet you.
    Assuming you're not both booked for the same function.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wild View Post
    My mistake, end of August, so who's first? lol
    I am the week before, 25th July.
    David.

allstarsentertainments.com

Default July

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Davy View Post
    I am the week before, 25th July.
    I am there the start of July.
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

Me and the missus are going there for dinner and dare I say a few cheeky drinks on Sunday night. It'll obviously be one of the restaurants but I'll do a bit of fishing and see if I can come up with any info.

Default Super

Me and the missus are going there for dinner and dare I say a few cheeky drinks on Sunday night. It'll obviously be one of the restaurants but I'll do a bit of fishing and see if I can come up with any info.
    Super.

I gave the venue a call. They say there are no access issues. It has a loading bay and an anteroom for gear while waiting to get into the room.
    I am hoping my fears are unfounded and only a result of the news of a dj cancelling for "access issues" mentioned on a wedding chat forum.

Lee
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

As I said mate, that one seems to be more a case of some nonsense about him having to pay for parking than any access issues. I ended up picking up that gig and I'm fairly confident she said he was coming in at under £200 (though I could be wrong) so he's maybe realised that it's not going to be a walk in the park so backed out.

I can't see it being THAT much more difficult than a normal city centre hotel. At the very least you've actually got somewhere to park up and unload instead of having to find a bay somewhere. I've been rehearsing with a band on Sunday afternoons in Glasgow and even finding a space on the street then has been a serious issue never mind trying to do it on a Saturday when you've got to haul gear.

So me and the missus went there on Sunday and her £20 groupon meal treat for me turned into £80 odd quid worth of cocktails for her

Anyways the restaurant staff were really busy so I didn't get a chance to ask them and the Champagne Central staff didn't seem to know much about the logistics of a wedding load in but what I can say is that the corridors are huge in the public part of the hotel, if the service corridors are the same, you should be able to really load up your carts to save on journeys through the building.

Also there's tonnes of conference rooms around the room I'm going to be doing (the smallest one) and I think it might be the same elsewhere so you should have a decent bit of space to start setting up in advance.