Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Business Card thoughts on design

Default Business Card thoughts on design

No idea why I haven't done this ages ago as these were designed in 2009 but I'm getting new business cards and would like some opinions.

OLD CARD -

Name:  oldcard.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  44.2 KB

Front of New card (white diamonds will be spot UV)

Name:  businesscardfront.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  59.7 KB

Back of new card

Name:  businesscardback.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  24.1 KB

Will probably be using https://www.facebook.com/48Press as the price for spot UV is very good.
    Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

I don't like either of them. They both look very amateur to me, sorry.

Get them designed professionally.

Seeing as you helped me on the other thread

I really like it and its a big improvement, looks very professional.

My only suggestion would be possibly to add a pair of earphones or decks under the UKPartyDj logo on each side
    (a simple logo/picture in white) to give a bit of variation and to fill the space more. Just an idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I don't like either of them. They both look very amateur to me, sorry.

Get them designed professionally.
    I appreciate the honesty, however I'm pretty good at this whole graphic design business (not saying I'm amazing) but I know I'm not at the "get it done professionally" stage (which is what I'd have suggested to 2009 me who made the old card.)
    May I ask what you think makes the card look amateur?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
    Seeing as you helped me on the other thread

My only suggestion would be possibly to add a pair of earphones or decks under the UKPartyDj logo on each side
    (a simple logo/picture in white) to give a bit of variation and to fill the space more. Just an idea..
    Think you may be right about the space filling idea, cheers.

Hmmm, not too sure about that. Having designed probably hundreds of DJs cards and logos over the last 12 years a lot tend to want the same old cliched images you've just described. Very predictable and a little boring. But hey, that's just me.

------------------------

Re: the re-design. It's just not doing it for me, it's a little too basic. Sometimes basic is good if you use some design methods to give it a little flair, but currently it's a little too basic for my personal liking. I completely agree with Darren about hiring someone with experience. There's some good designers here on the forum, and if you have a look at their design prices they are CRAZY CRAZY cheap at the moment. There's no better time to grab yourself a professional re-brand at a great price.
    Last edited by Shaun; 19-04-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    May I ask what you think makes the card look amateur?
    If it looks like it's been done on a word processor, which I think it has, then it looks amateur. Compare yours to some of Shaun's designs, or Leap Creatives from here and you may see what I mean. It's all opinion obviously, but I wouldn't say you are 'good' at designing based on this card.

As Shaun says, the design of a card by a pro is so cheap, that there isn't any reason not to go to a professional designer IMO.

Stick to what you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Hmmm, not too sure about that. Having designed probably hundreds of DJs cards and logos over the last 12 years a lot tend to want the same old cliched images you've just described. Very predictable and a little boring. But hey, that's just me.

------------------------

Re: the re-design. It's just not doing it for me, it's a little too basic. Sometimes basic is good if you use some design methods to give it a little flair, but currently it's a little too basic for my personal liking. I completely agree with Darren about hiring someone with experience. There's some good designers here on the forum, and if you have a look at their design prices they are CRAZY CRAZY cheap at the moment. There's no better time to grab yourself a professional re-brand at a great price.
    I agree it's a bit cliched but it could do with something to fill the space and I would think both those items are most closely associated with djing.
    Would you not put any images on a card or if you would what would you chooses (genuine question?)

Personally to me as a consumer a card is a card and I would only notice the bad ones. I find most of my tradesmen/supplier etc through the net, forums and via recommendations so for me it wouldn't be the place I would spend much money on when it could be used more productively in other promotional areas.

I agree it's a bit cliched but it could do with something to fill the space and I would think both those items are most closely associated with djing.
    Would you not put any images on a card or if you would what would you chooses (genuine question?)
    I genuinely don't think it needs the space filled at all. A business card is fairly small, normally 85mm x 55mm, so overuse of space can make a card design look crowded. Just your logo on it with a nicely designed background will suffice.

Personally to me as a consumer a card is a card and I would only notice the bad ones. I find most of my tradesmen/supplier etc through the net, forums and via recommendations so for me it wouldn't be the place I would spend much money on when it could be used more productively in other promotional areas.
    Where as I completely disagree. As a wise man once said "Everything Matters", and he was right. There should be consistency across every aspect of your business that represents you. Be it website design, all your marketing, appearance of your gear etc etc. Everything should be to a consistent high standard that represents the image you wish to portray of your business.

As I said earlier, look in the advertisers section and see just how cheap the re-branding of your company can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    If it looks like it's been done on a word processor, which I think it has, then it looks amateur. Compare yours to some of Shaun's designs, or Leap Creatives from here and you may see what I mean. It's all opinion obviously, but I wouldn't say you are 'good' at designing based on this card.

As Shaun says, the design of a card by a pro is so cheap, that there isn't any reason not to go to a professional designer IMO.

Stick to what you know.
    I must say I'm really struggling to find this un-offensive with cheap comments like - I think it's been done on a word processor... I've been designing websites and flyers / posters since I was 13 - I'm not a professional but I definitely know how to design.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Just your logo on it with a nicely designed background will suffice.
    Right that right there is what I'm looking for - a nice background, maybe a most interesting UV spot pattern would work and then something for the back.
    Not looking for a re-brand, that's been done already and I'm in the process of making my new website - http://www.ukpartydj.com/V4/wedding-dj-prices.php
    I'll make some adjustments and see what you guys think.

As said there are some great designers on here, The best one has retired Here is my card that Leap Creative designed for me

Name:  lauren.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  43.9 KB