Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Business Card thoughts on design

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I must say I'm really struggling to find this un-offensive with cheap comments like - I think it's been done on a word processor... I've been designing websites and flyers / posters since I was 13 - I'm not a professional but I definitely know how to design.
    Why ask for opinions if you don't want honesty? Why is it a cheap comment? Compare it to Shaun's work or others on here and it doesn't come up to scratch. It is set out badly, colours aren't great, fonts don't stand out and it doesn't say 'professional' to me. It looks amateur and I wouldn't say you're a designer based on that card.

There are plenty of people who have been DJing for years, but it doesn't mean they are any good.

Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome.
    Unless you don't like them?

I've been designing websites and flyers / posters since I was 13 - I'm not a professional but I definitely know how to design.
    There's a difference between buying Photoshop and actually being a designer... Also, you say you've been designing websites for years, but i've just had a look at that link you posted and it looks like something Vistaprint would produce. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

I'm pretty good at this whole graphic design business
    I have to disagree. As has been mentioned, compared with Shaun and Lee (Leap Creative), your design isn't even in the same league...
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs

+1 for Lee at Leap,

He is very helpful and takes your ideas into account to produce something you both are proud of, very reasonable prices aswell IMO. I designed my own cards and although I was happy with what I did, when I saw the difference that Lee's design made I was blown away. If you don't like his design then don't go ahead, what's the worst that could happen? I think designing would only cost about £10 so not something you need to take out a mortgage for.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Why ask for opinions if you don't want honesty? Why is it a cheap comment? Compare it to Shaun's work or others on here and it doesn't come up to scratch. It is set out badly, colours aren't great, fonts don't stand out and it doesn't say 'professional' to me. It looks amateur and I wouldn't say you're a designer based on that card.

There are plenty of people who have been DJing for years, but it doesn't mean they are any good.

Unless you don't like them?
    It's cheap because it's obviously impossible to create that design using a word processor. It would be like if I said a monkey could DJ better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Events View Post
    There's a difference between buying Photoshop and actually being a designer... Also, you say you've been designing websites for years, but i've just had a look at that link you posted and it looks like something Vistaprint would produce. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

I have to disagree. As has been mentioned, compared with Shaun and Lee (Leap Creative), your design isn't even in the same league...
    Right can we get something straight here ... I'm not suggesting that I am as good as Lee or any other professional. I am however 100% suggesting if you check you're facts you'll realise that what you're saying is Vistaprint's website's look nothing like mine nor do they contain half of elements I've included.

You may not think I'm a good designer but many people who probably aren't so critical have said they think my designs are good - I did not start this thread to prove that to anybody. I wanted people's opinions of the card NOT OF ME!

All this being said I had no idea how cheap the design would be I was expecting £50+ so will probably go with that as all I can muster up at the moment is a rather posh looking card which isn't my target audience haha typical - Name:  businesscardfrontv2.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  34.7 KB

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

I've been designing websites and flyers / posters since I was 13 - I'm not a professional but I definitely know how to design.
    Sometimes a different perspective on the interpretation of the design is a good thing. I've been dappling in design for about 15 years and even I'm going to use the services of one of the designers here on the forum for my next project. Why would I want to do that if I can do it myself? Simple! A new and different perspective. I've seen good examples of their work and their prices are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Sometimes a different perspective on the interpretation of the design is a good thing. I've been dappling in design for about 15 years and even I'm going to use the services of one of the designers here on the forum for my next project. Why would I want to do that if I can do it myself? Simple! A new and different perspective. I've seen good examples of their work and their prices are great.
    Fair point, I always ask a few people their opinions on everything I design hence this thread.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

its a lot better than some i have seen but as already said in the thread either redo them or get lee to do them.

I have some good offers on design work just now. See here for more info! http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...Current-Offers

Fair point, I always ask a few people their opinions on everything I design hence this thread.
    And then you throw your toys out of your pram.

If you don't want opinions, then don't post.

I don't like your card and have had my opinion.

Stop being a sulky child just because I don't like what you 'designed'

Right can we get something straight here ... I'm not suggesting that I am as good as Lee or any other professional. I am however 100% suggesting if you check you're facts you'll realise that what you're saying is Vistaprint's website's look nothing like mine nor do they contain half of elements I've included.

You may not think I'm a good designer but many people who probably aren't so critical have said they think my designs are good - I did not start this thread to prove that to anybody. I wanted people's opinions of the card NOT OF ME!

All this being said I had no idea how cheap the design would be I was expecting £50+ so will probably go with that as all I can muster up at the moment is a rather posh looking card which isn't my target audience haha typical
    How can an opinion be ? Also, what I quoted was what you had written, so therefore I have no facts to check. Your two comments that I quoted came across as arrogant and big-headed to me.

My opinion was that your website looks like something Vistaprint or another cheapo company would come up with. Like I said, that's my opinion.

For £10 - £15 you can have a professional design you a card and you'll have their perspective as well, as Shaun said.

Your last sentence confuses me somewhat... You say your card is too posh and is aiming at the wrong audience, are you trying to attract £100 pub gigs then?

I've noticed this on your current website: "Some photographs and fonts may not be owned by UK Party DJ" - Then why are they one there?

Anyway, i've got better things to do with my time, so i'll of this thread now.
    Last edited by SC Events; 19-04-2013 at 03:34 PM.
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs