Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

View Poll Results: When working for an Agency gig -

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I actively promote myself and not the agent

2 10.53%
  • I will hand out my own contact details - only if asked

6 31.58%
  • I always suggest contacting the agency

11 57.89%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Promote yourself? or the Agency / Multi Ops?

Default Promote yourself? or the Agency / Multi Ops?

Just had a call from one of my DJ's who quite happily told me he got a booking from one of the gigs I gave him last year.
    Alarm bells ringing here ... why didn't they call me - the agent who obtained the first gig and ask if they could have the same DJ again?

I told him that from now on he should promote UK Party DJ and not suggest give out his own business cards, which he really didn't like.
    He seemed adamant that "that's business and all entertainers work that way".

I personally feel it's very bad faith to cut out the middleman, It's sometimes unavoidable (sign written van, DJ booth with name displayed) but would like to know what everybody else does.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

I ask the guys that work for me to inform anyone that asked that they are DJ'ing for SC Events, which they are as they invoice the company and the I sign the contracts.

If the client then contacts me to book a DJ and asks if they can have the one they had before, I will try and give the DJ that job.
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs

Guys who have worked for me in the past have always given my cards and never taken bookings as they had no gear. If they had been asked to do a booking they would tell me and I would hire them the gear.

Tricky one but if i'm working for someone else and a guest at that function is adiment that want me for a function then i will pass my contact details over, otherwise will just pass them the details of the guys i am working for.
    Maidstone Based Professional Disco
    www.lasersounds.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by SC Events View Post
    I ask the guys that work for me to inform anyone that asked that they are DJ'ing for SC Events, which they are as they invoice the company and the I sign the contracts.

If the client then contacts me to book a DJ and asks if they can have the one they had before, I will try and give the DJ that job.
    Sounds the same as me, logical really. I sub-contract my DJ's as It's easier for me, do you employ yours?

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

I think you've got to take one route, one way or the other. Either don't allow subcontractors to self promote, and word that into your contracts (bearing in mind that there is likely to be ways and means around this) but at least your DJs will know where they stand. Alternatively....don't.

I have actually worked under both situations, and honour the first, but appreciate the second type moreso.

I always tell them to contact the mult-op guy as, over the years, I've built up a good working relationship with him. I always tell the client to tell my guy that they've seen me and would like to book me again. The reason I do this is that, when working for him, I do so at my Walk In Walk Out rates. I use his gear and, therefore, can do it cheaper. The clients he attracts are often the ones that can't, or don't want to, pay my prices. He gives them a good DJ at a bargain price, I get a fee I'm happy with and with no wear and tear on my own kit and everyone is happy.

However, if I didn't trust my agent 100% for any reason then I'd have no hesitation in handing out my own business cards. At the end of the day, the only customer of the agent is the one who's booked his service already. The guests don't have this connection to the agent so I don't get the "DJ stealing my customers" argument as the guests weren't customers in the first place.

At the end of the day, all's fair in love and business. But, I'm more ethically-minded than that which I'm sure my guy appreciates (even though I've had nothing from him for weeks!!).
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I will always work and advertise under the name of whoever gave me the gig.

Not to call you a hyocrite or anything (ukpartydj) but you have slated your Dj for doing what he did but then in the poll you have put that you would hand over your details if asked, Isnt that what your Dj has done? So now I am a little

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    I will always work and advertise under the name of whoever gave me the gig.

Not to call you a hyocrite or anything (ukpartydj) but you have slated your Dj for doing what he did but then in the poll you have put that you would hand over your details if asked, Isnt that what your Dj has done? So now I am a little
    I noticed that. I actually thought I must've misread the poll. It's comments and contridactory actions like this that would make me not trust the agent 100%. Certainly seems like a case of "do as I say not as I do". Maybe UKPartyDJ's DJ doesn't totally trust him and, given his own response to his poll, I can understand that.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Default T&Cs

Depends on the T&Cs.
    But stopped working with agents.
    What do they do but push down your price then double it and add on VAT to the client?
    Lee
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/