Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for band PA.

We're selling off some pro surplus PA kit inc Turbosound, Void, EV and Peavey if that might be of any interest? Peavey wise we have a pair of Peavey Impulse 1012's in white.

Could've sworn I replied to this earlier - perhaps I didn't hit submit reply before clicking away.

Thanks for all the comments - latest is that I've convinced them to get a proper sound guy in to check everything is working OK and fix/replace if necessary, he's very experienced so should be able to get to the bottom of the issues. They may be advised to get new speakers (currently using a pair of Mackie 1221's) or add to them - so may well be following up with some of you. I'll update after it's been looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Could've sworn I replied to this earlier - perhaps I didn't hit submit reply before clicking away.
    Well I'm guilty of not reading your earlier one fully. You say that the PA is only carrying guitar and vocals, so shouldn't be overstretched. I'm wondering if "over enthusiastic" microphone use is involved, or perhaps regular feedback issues have taken their toll? Some screaming down the mic, or planting themselves firmly in front of the HF driver doesn't help preserve kit.

One other possibility is huge clunks as kit is switched on/off and plugged in/ unplugged. This could be hard to cure, unless someone sits by the mixer and uses the mute button as required.

I reckon getting someone to have a look is the best idea, keep us posted.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Everything's been tested and no issues with the cabling or mixer and the soundman said he'd set it all up the same way the pub does - it looks like the speakers themselves have faulty circuit boards as they keep going back for repair, they've just been offered a refund on them which seems to support this.

Going shopping with the landlord tomorrow to look at some new options.

What was the problem with the 1221's ?
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    What was the problem with the 1221's ?
    They kept cutting out - seems like it was a fault with the circuit boards - refund is being processed.

You want a HK Lucas or similar type system, the small ones start around £700 I believe but they come with built in protection and actually sound quite good. Best of all look quite smart too!

Trialled a pair of RCF HD12a's - I DJ'd with them on Friday (knew they'd be OK for that) and they had 4 bands through them on Saturday - been told they sounded great and plenty of headroom (bass and drums aren't mic'd up). So they'll be purchasing a new pair of those, the 3 year RCF warranty and an excellent local dealer support helped (not many would lend you a pair of speakers for nowt). Also makes my life easier as I was taking my own PA in when I played there (but I'm the only DJ allowed to use them because I'm trusted to treat them like they're my own).

But how will they cope when everything is micc'd up or are you intending to sub in more kit for those times?

Quote Originally Posted by SamV View Post
    But how will they cope when everything is micc'd up or are you intending to sub in more kit for those times?
    Ahem.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Trialled a pair of RCF HD12a's - I DJ'd with them on Friday (knew they'd be OK for that) and they had 4 bands through them on Saturday - been told they sounded great and plenty of headroom (bass and drums aren't mic'd up). .

I heard the HD's at Coalville, and after the great reviews I'd seen, expected more than they delivered. Should be a fairly bulletproof piece of kit though, good choice.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk