Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13th birthday party

Default 13th birthday party

Any suggestions for an upcoming 13th birthday bash.

One assumes the usual top 40 ish tracks, but any tunes really clicking with this age group lately?

How cool are 13 year olds these days?

Would I get away with playing any older party games? Eg limbo etc

Any insights or ideas welcomed!

The recent teenage parties I've done recently, they have all asked for Rack City. Its all the top 40 apart from that.

I'm no expert on Children's parties but I have done a number of 13th Birthday parties and they have all gone along the same lines. Lots of current chart stuff, a few classic party tunes and some of the tunes with action dances (Cha Cha Slide, Macarena etc.).

Cha Cha slide still go down well. Some groups haven't known the macerena! but they ended up just doing a conga line. That normally works well wit hthe birthday girl/boy at the front.

But as already said, top 40, jessie J, the wanted, JLS. Beiber is always a tough one to call. I played it once as it was requested and got boo'd!!

Bets to ask the birthday girl/boy on that one.

Tom
    ATR The X-Faders | Mobile DJ's in Essex
    Billericay & Surrounding Areas
    http://www.thexfadersdj.co.uk | Facebook | Twitter

Does soulja boy - crank dat still go down well? Or are they too cool for school, or too young with that now?

Just ask for requests and they'll keep you busy all night. Take a pen!

Sexy and I know it is always asked for and they always go mental to it same with Starships. The girls love Call Me Maybe, they will all sing along too, anything in the charts or from the last 6 months with a beat will work, the too kewl for skewl boys will want stuff like bangarang, we always get asked by at least one for this. It's always a minority that want it and it will usually clear the floor bar a few practising dubsters. But one of the above will normally fill it again in 5 seconds flat. They all love the actions dances cha cha slide etc, even the kewl kids will do it with no fear.

I do a lot of kids parties of all ages, I tend to find the teenage ones are the hard ones to get right as there is such difference in clultures and groups.

I normally try and get as much information as possible, where the party is being held, types of kids and what sort of music they are into. I avoid games as in most cases its about image and looking a tool tends not to go down too well. But for some reason, school discos tend to be the opposite.

It was mentioned above, take requests all night and don't hide behind your booth, they love some interaction and banter.

Avoid XXX lyrics though, even the 'clean versions' as you will get them all singing the XXX lyrics at top level and some parents can be a bit funny about it..
    'Play something I like, I don't like this one, play some wham' - My favourite Drunken woman request (5th time up to the booth)
    www.starlight-party.co.uk

I'm the opposite, I find the teens are some of the easiest gigs, certainly my favorite, they are always up for it, never have a problem keeping a maxed dance floor, they love it. If it wasnt for the fact that you can't make as much money doing teens as you do at a wedding I would, only do teens. They are full of energy, you always get a really good vibe and best of all no drunks.

Heres a recent teens we did:

Have done two consecutive 13th Birthday Parties over the past 2 weeks and what a difference!!

Last weeks was the best party you could hope for! wide variety of music - and for a 13th, I was pleasantly suprised to see the likes of S Club - Reach & Mambo number 5 making a very welcome appearance! The kids loved it, packed dance floor all night. Walked away on a high.

Last night however, was reminiscent of a members night at a social club - There was fights (boys & girls), and more emotion than a Adelle track (tears, fall outs, make ups). I think this was mostly due to the fact that for some strange reason (and with my protest) they decided to run the party for 4 hours! 3hrs is generally the max for this age group. But despite the fighting & the emotions running high, the parents were happy - the kids had enjoyed themselves & even the parents were making shapes on the dancefloor - much to the embarassment of the birthday girl.

I think every 13th birthday party is going to be different - how it actually goes seem to depend on a number of factors - some of which are completely out of your control.

I'm learning to take it in my stride & learn from the experience - but as soundONE said - I'd prefer doing these anyday, and theyre still easier to deal with than the drunks!