Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: 1x DB Sub15 (800w RMS ) or 2 x DB Sub 12's (400w RMS each )

Default 1x DB Sub15 (800w RMS ) or 2 x DB Sub 12's (400w RMS each )

Looking for a little advice ! I currently have 1 DB Sub 15 ( The original class H Amplifier @ 800w RMS ) & have been trying to find another but no joy :-(

I have seen 2 DB Sub 12's for sale ( Class H Amplifier @ 400w RMS ) & am wondering if I would have better sound having a bin at each side with my DB Opera 402 top cabs or if I am better with the one DB Sub 15 in the centre of my setup ?

Would like to have a bin at each side but would the 2 benefit me or am I better keeping the Sub15 ?

Any info will be gratefully recieved :-)

The two bins will give you more output, almost it'll be neater if you're using the tops with sticks rather than tripods

I doubt you'd be happy with even a pair of 12's over one 15 bass bin. (possibly the RCF902's - but they're in a different league).

They won't give you a 'thump' just fill out the bottom end a bit and they'll run out of steam way before your tops do.

I'd keep an eye out for a pair of RCF705's (newer model is lighter than the old ones) - or if you see any bargain RCF905's get them.

Quote Originally Posted by sgldisco View Post
    Looking for a little advice ! I currently have 1 DB Sub 15 ( The original class H Amplifier @ 800w RMS ) & have been trying to find another but no joy :-(

I have seen 2 DB Sub 12's for sale ( Class H Amplifier @ 400w RMS ) & am wondering if I would have better sound having a bin at each side with my DB Opera 402 top cabs or if I am better with the one DB Sub 15 in the centre of my setup ?

Would like to have a bin at each side but would the 2 benefit me or am I better keeping the Sub15 ?

Any info will be gratefully recieved :-)
    If you are looking to sell your DB Tech sub 15, I will be interested in it.

I run a pair of DB opera sub 12"s and yes they do lack a little kick in comparison to the 15" but they have the same output, and there's only 2 points difference in the SPL rating. Slight difference with the frequencies but they are quite OK I run either one or 2 with a pair of Mackie SRM450V2's. There's not that much in it you will loose a bit of the kick, but in return you'll get more power, and a more balanced look.

At the time Thomman were selling the 12"s @ £285 each, and space / weight in the motor at the time was at a premium, so that's what directed me to the 12"s. I will say I was surprised how good they were for 12" cab's. I was one from the old school that thought all subs had to have 18" drivers in them to be any good, and that a 15" was a poor compromise, so a 12" was a no go!

It will all come down to what you can afford! If getting a second sub is so hard, change your 15" cab for another DB sub, and then add another. A mate of mine runs up to 4 x 15"'s with his RCF cabs

Just going on the specs -

15" woofer will give a deeper sound over the 12" & also require more power due to larger woofer size.

15" sub has a Max SPL of 133 dB
    12" sub has a Max SPL of 127 dB

Putting two speakers next to each other will increase the dB by 3 so -

2x 12" = 130dB Max
    1x 15" = 133dB Max (and deeper sound).

Of course this is the basic theory, the 12" could sound tons better but I doubt it somehow.

Figures are based on the db subs that I've found and not any older models etc.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

The SPL is a meaning less comparison between these two speakers. These two speakers will have these levels measured at different frequencies. The whole idea of a sub is to generate low frequency sound not the most sound possible.
    Most 12" speakers will not give a good low frequency sound so I think you would be disappointed with them

Given the choice I'd for 2 subs. Distributed bass, and cleaner looks ie speaker poles between subs and tops.