Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roller Banners at a wedding - Tacky or tactical?

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Sir!! I sincerely hope you are not implying that I and my kit are not the epitome of aesthetic elegance, a visual feast of epic proportions, a cornucopia of ocular delight. Were I a sensitive little soul, I could easily regard that as a grave personal affront.
    Oh Peter, I'd love to know what 90% of your posts actually say
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post

Here's another anology for you (sorry!)...

Many online services, such as video streaming, are available for free but are subsidised by advertising. If you pay for the premium service, you don't get adverts.
    This is actually a very good point. People do pay extra for a service online so they don't have to see/hear adverts. Good comment!

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Tacky.

Do a good job, make people want to get your details then just give them a card. Selling has already been done. Sticking a roller banner up and having it someones first dance shot is just poor form IMO.
    This point also has a flipside. If you have a bad night (or you're just generally crap!!) then maybe splashing your name everywhere isn't a good idea. Punter talking to his mates "Ooh, that XYZ Discos were here last night - the music was rubbish and it sounded absolutely awful!". If you're good and someone wants to book you for their function they'll do one of two things. First, they might come up and ask for a business card. Alternatively, they might wait a few days and ask their host (ie your original client) for your details. That's the best way to go about things imo. The biggest plus is that, when they ask for your details, they've already seen you so will be genuinely interested in your service. This means the selling aspect has already been done. Think about it!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    This point also has a flipside. If you have a bad night (or you're just generally crap!!) then maybe splashing your name everywhere isn't a good idea. Punter talking to his mates "Ooh, that XYZ Discos were here last night - the music was rubbish and it sounded absolutely awful!". If you're good and someone wants to book you for their function they'll do one of two things. First, they might come up and ask for a business card. Alternatively, they might wait a few days and ask their host (ie your original client) for your details. That's the best way to go about things imo. The biggest plus is that, when they ask for your details, they've already seen you so will be genuinely interested in your service. This means the selling aspect has already been done. Think about it!
    True, playing devils advocate -

many people who are interested in a product are too shy to approach us or may not know they want the service until a few weeks later.
    I spent a long time tracking down a DJ which I wanted for my 18th Birthday because I saw him play heavy metal in a pub for somebody's private party, this could have been avoided if I'd seen a banner with his name.

I'm almost convincing myself now that it might be a good idea ...

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to comment....it proves that it was a relevant topic and not just a personal annoyance!

I've since found out from the venue that the DJ was charging around £400 for his services that night. From my viewpoint, this is a good fee and the client should have expected a lot classier appearance. I do recall the kit was quite minimal, and I know that the speakers were only Mackie Thumps and the lighting was a couple of generic dot-based LED effects. I wish I'd taken a photo, because despite the banners being so obstrusive and garish, I don't remember the business name!

Quote Originally Posted by DJIanScott View Post
    I've since found out from the venue that the DJ was charging around £400 for his services that night. From my viewpoint, this is a good fee and the client should have expected a lot classier appearance. I do recall the kit was quite minimal, and I know that the speakers were only Mackie Thumps and the lighting was a couple of generic dot-based LED effects. I wish I'd taken a photo, because despite the banners being so obstrusive and garish, I don't remember the business name!
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghh. Incoming!! Time for I reckon. When the dust settles, and if it's safe to come out, I'll take some of my pills and see what I can add to the "discussion".
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

My opinion is they shouldn't be anywhere other than any event that you attend with the sole purposes of selling your services & definitely not at functions. If somebody wants to book you they'll ask for a card.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries